Chapter 1

Chapter 1

All throughout high school, I never imagined that I would move across the country for school, but here I am. All my life I have grown up in New Orleans and man does that make someone stand out in a crowd. New Orleans is so completely different than New York City. They are both big and well-known cities, but they are big and well known in completely different manners.

New Orleans is vibrant, eccentric with culture and individuality. It's cute and lovely during the day and driven by crime by night. As long as you didn't explore the wrong sides of town during the wrong time of day, you were fine. We have huge festivals and parades every season and summers are the best in the Louisiana heat.

I have been in New York for nearly forty minutes and I'm already astonished. Well, actually I am not exactly in New York yet, I am about forty minutes outside of the damn city because the traffic is so outrageous, it is taking us so long to get into the city. My mother and her boyfriend of five years have driven me the nearly twenty-hour drive from New Orleans to New York for my freshmen year at New York University.

With immaculate grades, perfect attendance and extra circulars including varsity football, hockey and tutoring it was no wonder I got into the school so easily. Not to mention the free ride. Now NYU isn't some Ivy League school, but it is up there and difficult to get into. It's been almost six months since I got my acceptance letter and I'm still beaming.

All the hard work was worth it.

Every late night I spent chugging coffee and writing essays and completing homework in all AP classes all paid off.

Now, I'm not some nerd. Like I said, I played football and hockey, I wasn't good enough at either of them to make a career out of it, but I am pretty well off in both of them.

"Nervous honey?" My mom asks me from the passenger seat. I know she's nervous about me leaving for college, how could she not? I'm her only child and now I'll be across the country from her.

"I guess you could say that," I let out a forced chuckle. To be honest, I am very nervous. I've never even been to New York and now I'm going to be living here. I'll be living on campus the dorms actually, which makes me just as nervous to be honest. I'll be living in UHall, which is the only dormitory that houses freshmen and other years together. It'll be intimidating housing with older students but then again, I'm not intimidated easily.

"I'm sure you'll be fine," Dan says. Dan is my mother's boyfriend. He's normally pretty quiet and distant, which I don't mind. I never gave him any grief for dating my mom, but at the same time, we never really grew a father-son relationship before.

"Yeah, I'll be okay." I confirm with a nod.

"I bet you miss Trina," My mom states and I stop myself from rolling my eyes.

"It's hard to miss someone when they're texting you nonstop." I say and this gains a chuckle from the two.

"She's a young woman in love, can you blame her?" My mom says with a sigh. She's always loved Trina. I mean, everyone who meets Trina loves her. And I guess I love her. I mean, I've been with her for over two years but I feel like there's always been some blockade that prevented us from becoming closer.

I could never tell if it were my doing or her doing to be honest. The whole school loved her and she's insanely popular. Long blonde hair, insanely beautiful blue eyes and that body. Petite with curves for days.

What's special about her is who she is though. She is so sweet and never hesitates to put someone -even a complete stranger- before herself.

I think during senior year, we both knew it wasn't going to be too serious though. We had one of those infamous "pre-college talks." The one where we'll try to stay together but if it doesn't work long distance then it just doesn't work. I understand I think she does, but something tells me she's going to hold onto things even if they don't work out.