October

warning: homophobic language

October Jennie has been at Pohang High for a month but she's comfortable now, she has settled in. Her parents tell her that they had no doubt that she would, they've raised her with confidence, grace, and charm and they fully trust her to go into a room of people she doesn't know and come out with fifty new best friends. And it's not hard to make friends at her school either; everyone is nice enough, pretty enough, talented enough and Jennie slips into a few groups easily. There's Jongin and Jisoo and Mino, obviously, but she has also met Bae Taehyung, a boy so pretty Jennie is pretty sure that Donatello himself would have been called in to carve his beauty, and his best friend Jeon Jeongguk who only speaks when he wants to be mean. Her circle grows with Joohyun, Jimin, and Yoongi and, suddenly, her days are filled with people.

It seems though that Sundays are just hers. Everyone has plans or dates and Jennie generally doesn't catch up with most people until late afternoon, which gives her the morning after Mass completely free. She tends to explore a lot, learning the town and the stores and she likes how much of a community it is because she doesn't want to spend her entire weekend with her parents. Mr. Jung waves at her when he passes her on the street and Jennie likes that when she passes by people say her name. Seoyeon had worked wonders with the town and Jennie has to think hard about why some people don't like her.

Her phone buzzes in her pocket and she reaches in to get it. There is a message from Joohyun inviting her to a party on the following Thursday which Jennie happily replies to with an enthusiastic yes. It's been a while since she has dressed up gone out and she feels the need to apologize to her makeup box for neglecting it so much recently, especially since her weekends in Auckland were filled with cheer and parties and weekends that lasted three days. Jennie's art supplies, for a few minutes, go abandoned as she texts excitedly with Joohyun and Jisoo about dresses and who will be there, and finally, finally, she feels herself settling into Angang. Jennie's parents are leagues ahead of her and are already talking about future dinner parties and their plans for years to come, but she's getting there.

Like she's supposed to.

"You know, Jennie, this trail used to be a little more predictable before you arrived," makes Jennie smile and turn away from her phone to look at the other girl. Jisoo and Joohyun are completely forgotten as Chaeyoung takes up space. She's once more in her athletic gear but her hair is braided up and away from her face this time, rather than hanging loosely in a ponytail. Jennie finds herself far more invested in the intricacies of it than she probably should be. "I don't usually see people here when I run."

"Are you complaining?" The sentence is far braver than she feels when Chaeyoung stood in front of her and she doesn't know why she makes her feel like this. Their interactions are so spaced out, so short-lived, that Jennie is surprised Chaeyoung has left an impression on her at all because she feels she hasn't left much on Chaeyoung. Or, maybe, she has because the blonde always starts the conversation. Jennie just...she doesn't know who this girl is or why she reacts so violently inside when she's around. "Because even if you are it's not going to make me leave here. It's too nice."

She makes an attractive sound between a laugh and a gasp and Jennie clenches at the noise. "No, I'm not complaining. It's nice to end my run and not be alone sometimes."

Her eyes widen in a way that tells Jennie she probably hadn't meant to say that but Jennie brushes it off because she doesn't want her to feel awkward. If she feels awkward she's sure she'll leave and Jennie is definitely sure she doesn't want that. Jennie teases her because she can, because she wants to. "Well your running interrupts my drawing, so if you don't mind --" She trails off with a smile to let the blonde know that she's joking, but Chaeyoung's face set seriously and she suddenly looks uncertain.