November

warnings: literally one curse word

November The week passes quite hectically and Jennie finds herself at Halloween parties and Taehyung's birthday and, before she knows it, it's Sunday once more. The weather has changed a lot and she watches the rain make little rivulets down her window. Funny little shapes and zig-zags that she follows with her finger as she listens to her parents rush around getting ready for church. December was always a busy month for Jennie's mom so the Christmas party had been planned for the end of this month instead, ensuring as many people could go as possible, but it had been left to her mom to organize and Jennie could hear the frustration in her voice as she adds yet more things to her own to-do list. Jennie hears her father calm her down, then, everything goes silent for a minute and Jennie imagines him taking her into his arms, gently kissing her like he would every morning, and she smiles.

She can only hope for a love like that.

Jennie thinks back to the Halloween party, how Jongin had come up to her in his Zorro costume and pressed in close while his hand snaked around her waist. He'd long since been forgiven by Jisoo but she wasn't willing to take him back, her announcement enforced when she'd kissed Oh Sehun--a guy from the boys-only school in Seoul--in front of everyone. Jongin, it seemed, was completely single and Jennie had felt a warmth inside of her that she still had his attention. She'd be a liar if she said she didn't like it but, in some ways, she knew it didn't feel right too. While Jennie was sure her mom still felt butterflies when her father kissed her cheek, Jennie had simply felt a ripple of affection through her when Jongin had led her outside to kissed her beneath fireworks.

"Hey kid, you ready?"

Standing like a giant in your doorway is her dad and Jennie grins, nodding at him as she bounds up from her desk chair and follows him downstairs.

One day, Jennie tells herself, she'll find someone who loves as strongly as her father does.

---

Chaeyoung isn't at the service and Jennie notices immediately. Jiyoung is there, with the adorable Daehan on her lap, and her father Ingook. Kyungsoo is sat to the side, as always, quiet and brooding in his handsome way, but Seoyeon and Chaeyoung are missing completely. She hadn't seen them outside as she usually would and, for the most part, the family sits together in unity as Mass begins. There's a flicker of worry inside of Jennie but it dampens down when she hears Song begin his welcomes.

She's not sure why she's so disappointed.

---

"Did I miss anything important?" Chaeyoung approaches her calmly as she stands with Mino, his conversation about Viswanathan Anand's famous chess move falling silent at their new companion. Jennie doesn't fail to notice the way Mino moves a little closer to her and she tells herself to not push him away, tells herself that he doesn't mean anything ridiculously small-minded about it.

When it becomes painfully clear that Mino isn't willing to say anything Jennie politely moves away from him, taking all of Chaeyoung's attention and keeping her tone light. "Apart from my perfect rendition of Be Thou My Vision? Nah. Not much."

"It's a shame I missed it."

"Where were you?" Mino, Jennie knows, is only trying to be kind on her behalf but she can hear the force in his tone which makes her look at him heatedly. He softens slightly and his cheeks flush in shame. "I mean, you and your mother rarely miss Mass. Is everything alright?"

"Fine," Chaeyoung clips back before she turns to the brunette. Her mouth opens to say more but Jennie feels a hand on her elbow and Chaeyoung straightens her face so quickly that she's confused. "Doctor Kim, Mr. Kim, good morning."