Chapter 4

The sound of the water clogged her hysterical gasping sobs. Ishaan was dead. It hit hard. He was dead the same night she chose to kiss him. That hit harder. To add to it all, she was engaged to the man who was the police officer in-charge of the case. She quickly washed her face and put up a normal face. But inside there was regret, guilt, pain and worst and most of all — fear.

"Kashi, what happened?" She heard his mother's voice as soon as she stepped out. She stared at he rmother. 

"Why had he come?"

"Oh, Virat. He, he just came to tell me that he may get promoted soon. He wanted to just make sure, I am okay with his profession."

"Even I am skeptical about his career, Kashi. He's brave and holds a very respectable post in the police. But, will you be able to deal with it?"

"He's very nice, Maa." She said, sitting on the bed beside her. Her thoughts stuck at Ishaan. His smiling face the only thing that flashed on the wide screen of her mind. 

"Yeah, that's true..."

Virat

She panicked. What if he came to know about her and Ishaan? She was more scared of losing him.

Virat was a wonderful person. Why else would he come to check on her personally and tell her about it. He said he was worried. Just because she was at a place which was a crime scene now. Sooner or later he'll know that she knew Ishaan. But ...last night in the library it was just the two of them. 

"Honestly, for a minute I thought he's changed his mind about the wedding. But I am glad it wasn't something of that sort. At the same time, it is scary to think he deals with criminals throughout the day. But I guess, he'll keep you happy. Your father seems to love him more with every passing day. Anyways, you'll drop us to the airport right? Or should we do a Uber?"

"Oh, yes. Your flight to Delhi. Packing done?" She asked. Who killed Ishaan? When did it happen? What if she didn't back of yesterday? What if she stayed in the library with Ishaan. Would he be alive? Or would there be two murders?

"Yeah, everything is in place. I was thinking of leaving early. Like last time I don't want them to make a big issue of the pickle jars I carry and make us miss the flight. I think we'll call the Uber... Kashi?"

"Yeah, yeah. Uber. I was thinking the same. You should call the Uber."

"You're okay?"

"Yeah, I was just... thinking about Virat."

"Don't overthink. It's natural to feel the anxiety and have doubts, but you both have time. You can probably work on finding a common ground." Her mother spoke getting up. "We'll leave in forty minutes or so."

"Yeah!"

* * *

Kashish's mind couldn't calm down. It was running like a racing car, high on illegal fluids. It was a silent afternoon, she could even hear the wall clock ticking. She was trying to make up her mind to call Virat and ask for more information. But she'd probably give him a hint that she had something to hide. 

She didn't have to be in the state of indecisiveness for too long. Her message beep was heard. It was from Virat.

Their was picture of Ishaan. A smiling picture, where is light brown eyes sparkled with life. He was dead, now.

He fingers trembled as her mobile phone 's ring tone blared. 

Virat Chauhan.

Gulping the lump of fear that had formed in her throat, she picked up the call, pressing the phone to her ear.