Chapter 5

Kashish was disturbed. She couldn't even think of what lay ahead. "Am I the suspect on your list too?" She asked softly, looking up at him, waiting for the light of hope to flicker in the fast consuming darkness.

He took a deep breath, picked up the gun from the side table and walked towards her. Kashish couldn't get a hint of emotion from his face. It scared her more than ever. Her eyes flickered down to the gun. She really never been scared of looking at a gun, or at least one in a picture on screen. 

The gun before ever eyes was a real one. He clicked something in and she froze. Did he just load the bullets into it or something like that?

She looked up at him terrified.

He placed the gun on the table between them, pointing it towards her.

"What is it that you are not telling me?"

Kashish stared at him, growing frigid by the minute. She remembered the kiss. The sweet forbidden kiss of that night. Her secret. 

"I, I told you everything," she replied in a shaky voice looking up at him.

His fingertips rested on the gun. He turned it slightly around and pushed it towards her. Kashish gasped closing her eyes. Was he crazy? What if it the trigger went on somehow. She'd bleed to death in no time.

Kashish slowly parted her eyelids and gazed down at the table. 

"Do you have your answer?"

She glanced up at him. What was he saying? She warily glanced at the gun. Was it the murder weapon or something? She clutched onto her bag tightly. The last thing she'd want is her fingerprints on that thing.

"Kashish, you are practically freaking out at the sight of a gun that's empty. You would never be on any police officer's suspect list. But yes, the timeline does put you at the crime scene. So ... there's a chance the killer saw you leave or... he was hidden and waiting to strike."

Kashish took in a breath or relief. Her mind trying to replay the happenings of the previous night. She was sure she didn't see anyone when she made her way to the library. But then, Ishaan did see her move towards the library building. If only, he didn't follow me up there!

"Kashish?"

She looked up up him. "I don't know, really. I didn't see anyone as far as I remember,"

"How did Ishaan come to the library?"

"He saw me and trailed behind..." She answered cautiously. 

"Right," He said thoughtfully.

Kashish's mind went back to playing the events of the last night. A thought made her shudder, "Virat, what if the police finds my prints on the lock of the library, the light switch or the books I touched? Will that make me the..."

"Relax," He interrupted, rather calmly. "We didn't consider the library but now that you mention it, we may have to..."

"No, I will get stuck into this case then." Kashish panicked. 

Virat sighed, covering his face with his hands.

"What happened?" She asked fearfully.

"I have to back off this case. It's a conflict of interest."

Kashish stared at him. He appeared to be that light of hope that was burning out. "I am scared!" She confessed.

He looked up at her. His eyes carefully analyzing her body language.