Chapter 8

"I must compliment your cooking. This was the best version of Dal fry, I have ever had." He said using the tissue to wipe his face.

Kashish smiled, "you haven't eaten food that Maa makes. She's the best chef ever. Like, literally." Her hand reached his empty plate to pick it up.

"I will take it," He said quickly pulling the plate off the table.

Kashish nodded. "Maybe you can pick up that casserole as well." She said picking up the pot that had the left over dal fry.

Obediently, without a word, he picked it up and followed her into the kitchen. 

She kept the dirty dishes in the sink while he went out to fetch the remaining things from the table. She smiled observing him.

"Can I say something?" She asked turning to him.

"Hmm,"

"You're way too soft for be a policeman."

"What?" He said in confusion.

"I am complimenting you." She said, feeling the need to clarify.

"I got that part," He said, plainly.

Kashish nodded, putting up a smile. Sometimes it was so hard to have a honest light conversation with him. His poker face skills, almost got to her nerves.

"Why do you think I am soft?"

"Just felt that way," she shrugged her shoulders quickly organizing the kitchen.

After a briefly pause, he spoke up, "Can I say something too?"

Kashish's hand paused midway in the air as she was about to keep the pickle jar up on the shelf. Her gaze dropped on him.

"You're beautiful,"

Kashish's cheek slowly turned crimson like a bed of blooming red roses, at the unanticipated compliment. "Thanks," she said with a coy smile, gracefully blossoming on her face. Her gaze went to the glass jar in her hand.

"Can I help you at something?" He asked.

"No, everything's done. Let me show you the guest room."

He nodded, following her out. 

"So, how often do you talk to you parents?" She asked as they climbed up the stairs.

"Once in three days or so. Mom will go crazy otherwise. On days I don't open the small family chat group we have, she will call to make sure I am okay and have eaten."

"That's sweet." 

"Yeah, but she has called me at awkward moments." 

"Like?" Kashish asked turning to him as they entered into the guest room.

Virat's gaze quickly swept around the room, stopping at her. 

Kashish's cheeks warmed up instantly. There was something about the way he looked at her. It was both fascinating and nerve-wracking — how he was slowly and effortlessly making a way her heart.

He broke their eyelock, looking aside. He walked around the room. "So there was this day, almost an year back. I had just returned after capturing a few local goons who were emerging as a powerful gang. The SP had summoned us immediately after. He wasn't happy about the way our operation had delayed. It was an overnight mission that completed around the wee hours of the morning. I hadn't had the chance to even look at my personal phone on the previous day. My mom decided to call me at that very minute when the SP had begun lecturing us about protocol and discipline."