one

"This... this won't do at all."

"An important asset of ours got into a car crash on his way here. He didn't survive in the end."

"The authorities wrote it off as a mere accident, but with the timing of this incident, I suspect it's an assassination plot from those extremists."

"You think they're from the east, don't they?"

"There's a strong possibility. We have been under high tension with that country for a while now. It seems they're trying to spark a war with us. We must put a stop to this as soon as possible."

"I see. In that case, we should leave that work to our best agent."

"Agent Midnight, won't you take the offer?"

--

It was nighttime in town. Rain poured down on the dark streets, where the shine of the streetlights barely reached the hidden alleyways, but enough to provide light to two figures that stood there.

"I've managed to gather the information you need, sir." A man dressed in a concealing trenchcoat handed over a small folder. "All the minister of foreign affairs' secrets are contained here."

"Well done. With this, I can force him to resign and hand his position over to me. That fool won't see this coming." Another man opened the folder, musing through the countless photos with a grin.

This man's the minister's rival. He really wants to take his place by all means necessary.

"A pleasure doing business with you. Keep up the good work."

As the man in the trenchcoat left, he hadn't counted on a hand being placed on his shoulder, or the familiar voice of the person he had just conversed with to say, "Hey, you! Hand over what you've promised to give."

"Huh? But I've already given it to you—" His blood ran cold at the sudden realization, whipping his head to where his companion had just left to.

He had done a grave mistake!

I... I was set-up!!

"That was easier than I thought." Now having driven far away from reach, the man tore off the mask he had been wearing, revealing a strikingly young face underneath. "Even though my impersonation was last minute, I still managed to get that file out of there in the end."

This man is a spy. In a world where a secret cutthroat information war was ongoing, his mastery of disguise helped him survive throughout this entire ordeal.

"Ah, I'm running late to that date with her. How bothersome." He groaned to himself, running a hand across his choppy black hair when he heard his cellphone ring obnoxiously in his pocket. With his free hand he managed to take it out and hit the answer key.

"Hello?"

"You're late, Haruhiko! Do you have any idea how long you've been making me wait here?!" A woman's voice shouted through the loudspeaker, making him cringe.

"Yes, I know. I got caught up with something important, alright?"

"No excuses! You should know better than to keep me waiting! As my boyfriend, you're supposed to show no tardiness!"

He clicked his tongue in annoyance. Seriously, how had he been dealing with this woman for a while now without snapping? Even as a spy, such people even bothered him.