five

Today was the first day of acting like a family.

"Welcome to Haruto's house!" Haruto spread his arms in the air, presenting their (rather spacious) apartment. As expected of his dad, he finally got her as his mom!

"A pleasure to be here, Haruto." Nene smiled at him. He's so adorable... A little strange we both have the same radish legs, though.

Must be a coincidence.

"I wanna help! I've always wanted a Mama!" The little boy lifted a small box up to carry, not noticing how Nene turned a bit red at his words.

That's right, starting today, I'm his mother. I hope I can do a good job at it.

"We're sleeping in our own separate rooms, so you won't have to worry." Amane began stacking up some larger boxes by the table.

"And before I forget, I got connections with a guy who knows a judge, so I had them up our marriage registration form so it's dated a year ago."

"I see."

"We'll have to make up some excuses to your brother though, like why we've been living separately until now." The school will be suspicious if we got married right after the exam. Amane thought. It was a relief he had Kou forge up a certificate as quickly as possible, so that was out of the way.

I even got permission from the boss, so I can relax now. Nene held back a grin to herself. Now hopefully her cover as a hitman wouldn't be blown.

She saw Haruto attempt to pick up another small box, which she hurriedly tried to stop. "H-hold on, Haruto! I'll get that for you instead!"

"Why Mama? It's not that heavy." Haruto shook the box a little.

"It's full of, uh... glass plates! If you drop them you'll hurt yourself!"

Well, in reality, they're full of deadly poisons and weapons! I can't let him touch them or he'll be in danger!

Haruto had unfortunately heard her thoughts, and without hesitation he handed the box to her, acting as if he had just gotten himself burned.

"I'll carry the other box, then..."

"Don't overwork yourselves over there. We have to practice the interview afterwards."

After helping with the unpacking, it was finally time to practice for the three person interview. Amane looked at the two sharply, glasses perched on his face to look professional.

"Let's begin with the questions. Haruto, what do you normally do on holidays?"

"Papa usually orders me to stay at home and watch TV all day, and he leaves me alone in the dark."

"Hold on, that just makes me sound awful." He turned to Nene with another question.

"And what's your education philosophy, ma'am?"

"Huh? Uh... um... Blitzkrieg...?" Nene stuttered, not quite getting the question properly. Amane sighed, taking his glasses off and putting the clipboard down.

I'm surprised she even got this far on her own, even with her brother's help.

"Well, this is hopeless. We'll never pass that interview. Let's just give up on that school."

"Hey, Amane! What about your wife's dying wish?!"

"I was just kidding. I'm not giving up."

"That's not something to joke about, you know!"

Maybe it's too soon to expect a lot from them. "I got an idea then. We're heading out. In order for us to have an idea for what they're going to throw us at the interview, we're going to have to broaden our horizons. We can get to know each other along the way, too."