The Words of a Best Friend

Meredith and Derek had dropped the kids off at daycare and headed in separate directions. Meredith was standing in front of the OR board, about to go scrub in on a liver resection. She felt sore and heavy. She knew what it was, she knew she would have to be checked out. But she couldn't. She couldn't face that she might leave her kids. She might never step into an OR again. She might leave Derek and Alex. Bailey and Richard. Cristina.

Alex knew she'd be scrubbing in soon, so he had to make it fast. Derek had told Alex about Meredith's symptoms and weakened movements. And needless to say, Alex was scared out of his right mind. All he had when he began his residency was himself. That turned into his friends. Meredith, George, Izzie and Cristina. He did care for all of them wether he showed it or not. George died, Izzie had cancer and left, Cristina left to Switzerland, and now Meredith might, or does, have leukemia. He had Jo but Mer was his best friend.

He had to talk to her. He had to tell her to go get checked out because he couldn't lose her. He had told Derek that if Meredith gets admitted and they need a babysitter, him and Jo would watch the kids. That was the least he could do to help them.

He was walking all over the hospital in search for her. He couldn't wait any longer to tell her. She would be scrubbing in soon and she couldn't wait any longer to get checked out. The cancer could get worse as the minutes go by. Bailey and Webber were informed on her condition and also said they would work to get her checked out.

"Hey Mer." Alex found her walking down the stairs to the OR floor. He was out of breath, but compared to her, he was breathing just fine. She was gripping onto the rail to the point of her knuckles going white.

"Hey Alex." Her voice sounded raspy and breathy.

"Are you ok, Mer?" Alex sighed.

She gripped both hands on the rail and put her head on her hand.

"Alex." She cried, the pain evident in her voice.

"I know." He rubbed her back as he hugged her.

"I'm sick."

"I know."

"Bruises. "

"Yea.."

"Weakness."

"Its ok. We can get you checked out." Alex was starting to cry, and that rarely happens.

"I have three kids, Alex. Two aren't even one yet and I just-."

"Me and Jo will take the kids. Come here." He pulled her into a hug.

"What about Cristina, Alex. We have to call her. A-and the baby."

"I told you, we will take the kids. And Cristina is flying down here as soon as her patient is in the clear."

"O-ok. B-but the baby."

"What do you mean? Christopher and Malley will be fine. Can't they have solids now?"

"Y-yes. But Jo is pregnant, Alex. How can you take care of her and three kids?"

Alex's face dropped. "O-ok. Umm. How long has she known?"

"3 days. She told me before you because she was scared."

Alex sighed and hugged her tighter. "It'll be ok. We can do everything we can."

She nodded and left the grip of her best friend.

"Now, oncology?" Alex asked.

"Yea...page Derek, though. And Jo. You need to talk to her."

"Ok."

To be continued. Sorry it's short.