Chapter - 28

Her footsteps echoed into the silent night, the only sound being of the crickets and the wind passing by as Crystal made her way towards the pack hospital. 

Her mother’s words yesterday stuck in her head as she spent the entire day debating over her decision of confronting her brother. At last, when sleep refused to visit her, she concluded that it’s prime time she faced Bennett before her anxiety swallows her. Sneaking out of the castle was extremely hard with the guards patrolling, but years of practice of helping Gemma sneak out helped her to escape the eagle eyes of the guards. 

Standing in front of the double glass doors that had two bright red crosses painted on each side, she contemplated her decision, but before she could turn back and dash for the castle, her feet carried her inside. 

The sound of the doors opening startled the receptionist who was peacefully dozing off on the comfortable chair. Her eyes widened in horror as she watched the princess fidgeting. 

“How can I help you, my lady?” she asked, now on alert as she stood with a slight bow.

“Bennett.” Crystal uttered the single word, resulting in the receptionist rushing to her side, ready to guide her.

They walked down the white hallways. The smell of medicines wafted Crystal’s senses, making her nauseous. Despite visiting her Mama in the hospital several times, she couldn’t get used to the smell. The receptionist eyed her future Queen’s expression and increased her pace. 

There weren’t many hospital staff around, as a large staff didn’t have to be on duty because, with their high immunity and healing ability, werewolves seldom visited the hospital. The receptionist was also for namesake, the only people that were always on the call were the pack doctor, assistant doctor and the nurse.

Turning a few more corners, they reached Bennett’s room. The room was in the VIP section reserved only for the royal family. The receptionist bowed to Crystal before turning around and leaving.

Crystal stood there, eyeing the door for a few seconds. Taking a deep breath, she pushed the door open to find her brother seated by the window, staring at the full moon as the wind ruffled the curtains. The moonlight hit Bennett’s face, making him look like an angel without wings. 

“It was prime time,” Bennett said without looking at Crystal. His voice carried a tone of relief and delight. 

“You knew, I would come?” Crystal asked, baffled. 

“I assumed.” Bennett turned his wheelchair to face Crystal. 

Crystal noticed the bandages running across his torso. Stains of blood lingered in a few places. She winced at the view, making Bennett chuckle. As he came closer, Crystal noticed the cast around his left ankle.

“Is it bad?” She asked, eyeing the cast.

“It’s nothing new, I will be fine by tomorrow.” 

“It’s lucky to be a werewolf isn’t it.” Crystal smiled.

“Yes, only sometimes.” 

Seeing Bennett struggling to get on the bed, Crystal rushed to his side, helping him to lie down. She sat on the small stool beside the bed as an awkward silence fell upon them.

“I bet you never had sick days.” Crystal said, breaking the silence as she referred to the previous topic.

“I am sorry, I should have never suggested the duel to the council.” Bennett addressed the elephant in the room. Crystal looked at him, shocked, unable to form a decent response. “I just wanted to prove to Dad that I wasn’t so irresponsible.” He added.