Chapter - 33

A limousine parked at the palace entrance, its occupants a young couple elegantly glided out of their seats, facing the crowd with a dazzling smile. The female seemed overly enthusiastic to attend the event, as she hardly contained her shriek at seeing the elegant palace. On the contrary, the male looked ready to sprint in the opposite direction if given the chance. An older couple joined the young duo as palace staff guided them to the ballroom. 

The ballroom echoed with boisterous laughs, melodious giggles, and the constant clinking of glasses. Beauties glided around in their expensive dresses and men were draped in their tailored tuxedos. Servers went around serving drinks while the band continued to play a low harmony. It was a day of rejoicing, and everybody was equally happy. 

Despite this lovely atmosphere, a looming figure lamented in the shadows. Gazing at the starlit sky, he thought back to a similar day that succeeded in turning his life upside down. He swirled the wine, taking occasional sips and letting out a defeated sigh now and then. He turned to look back at the joyous room, resting his elbows on the bannister. His eyes swept around, capturing the beautiful couples sharing loving gazes and light kisses. Though it was the coronation ceremony of the future heir, one could smell the love in the air. 

“There you are,” a high-pitched female voice said, trudging over to where the man stood.

A disgruntled sound left the man’s throat as he turned to face the woman with a scowl. The woman looked taken aback for a minute, but soon recovered her smile. 

With a sugary voice, she added, “Mom and Dad are calling us.”

“There is no us, Carol, and stop pestering me,” Xavier said, before striding off to meet his parents. 

Carol stared at the retreating figure as an evil smirk appeared on her face, emitting a chuckle she said, “We shall see,” she followed Xavier and looped their arm pulling him towards his parents. 

Though Xavier hated it, he had to pretend in front of others that Carol was his mate, and this pit he had dug himself. Chastising himself was of no use, in front of all the other packs he couldn’t lose face, therefore when Carol looped their arms he forced himself to smile in her direction and allow her to pull him.

On the other side of the door, Crystal stood heaving shallow breaths. Her heart was beating wildly, making her palms sweat profusely. Her hold on Jay’s arm tightened, hoping to find comfort. 

Light footsteps resonated through the hallways as Frederick and Madeleine made their way towards Crystal. Madeleine’s scrutinizing gaze could detect the restlessness in Crystal’s posture. Even her aura seemed to be disturbed, as if dark clouds were looming over her. 

Crystal was so lost in her thoughts that she failed to notice her parents’ arrival. Seeing the lack of response on her side, Madeleine slightly nudged Crystal’s shoulder. Crystal abruptly turned, with a startling look on her face. 

“It’s ok, everyone will love you,” said Madeleine, assuming Crystal’s nervous state was because of the event. 

“Just be yourself, like you were with the council,” Frederick added. 

Crystal smiled at her parents. She took a deep breath and pushed the thoughts of Arabella’s abrupt departure to the back of her mind. ‘Today was an important day. It was about the kingdom and its future. She needs to prioritize today’s event.’ Crystal thought.

“Ready?” Madeleine asked

Crystal replied with a firm nod, as she patted down her dress to get rid of any wrinkles. A low chuckle sounded from Jay as he said, “You look fine, stop fretting.”