Chapter - 39

While the young Queen was spending her days blissfully with her mate, family and friends, her foes were laying down the trap to lure the prey.

Far off towards the North of the werewolf kingdom, seated on his rugged throne covered with cheap fur, the Rogue King flagged by his partner in crime was plotting the next war. The rogues from all over the country were summoned to join the army, and those that refused to join were ruthlessly killed. 

“Fellow rogues, the time has finally arrived. Our cards are ready to be played,” bellowed the Rogue King in his velveteen voice, his malicious forest green eyes sweeping over the gathered party.

The masked woman standing by his side gave an evil smirk as her melodic voice enchanted the occupants of the room, “We shall rule over the werewolf and the warlock kingdoms soon.” 

A series of cheers filled the air, followed by the clink of glasses. The rough voices of the vicious beasts echoed against the damp and grim walls of the Rogue Palace.

The Rogue king and his partner shared a toast to their plans as they watched over the people dancing and chugging cheap gin. 

The heavy metal doors to the room were pushed open, interrupting the celebrations. An air of silence wafted over the room whilst the woman, clad in a black cloak, briskly walked towards the rogue king and bowed to him. 

A genuine smile spread across the face of the malicious man, as he walked forward and hugged his beloved daughter; the one he adopted twenty years back. She was the daughter of his obedient servant Ralph, who sacrificed his life while protecting his master.

“How are you doing, father?” Arabella asked, a smile forming on her red-tinted lips. 

“Now that you’re here safe and sound, I am doing good.” The Rogue King replied, guiding her over to the throne where they took their seat.

A swift gesture from the king made the beasts erupt into cheers once again as they indulged themselves in alcohol and dirty dancing. 

As Arabella took her seat beside her father on the small stone settee, her eyes fell upon the masked figure and her eyes filled with disgust and hatred. 

“What’s she still doing here?” She asked, directing her question to her father.

“She’s our ally, we need her.” Her father replied. “And we need Ariadne,” he added, referring to the masked woman.

“But, she is the reason I can’t be with my mate. I am planning revenge while he is being smitten by that frumpy queen,” Arabella raged.

Ariadne let out a humorous chuckle before speaking. “My dear Ara, that mate of yours isn’t worth the penny. He’s just a pawn in our game.” She took a seat on the adjoining throne, “And Keiran would agree that mates can only be a weakness in your life.” She added, looking at the man in question. 

The Rogue king balled his fists at the indirect mention of his mate. His mate proved to be his biggest weakness when she refused to stand by his side and rather chose loyalty to the Alpha King. Despite the betrayal, he loved his mate and her death was a hard blow to him.

“He isn’t a pawn. I refuse to use him any further in your evil plans.” retorted Arabella. She was already shameful enough to be helping these vicious beasts, but she had no other choice.

“Tsk, tsk, young lady. You don’t have a choice, he’s already too deep into this.” Ariadne said with an evil grin and then vanished into thin air.

“She’s the vilest person I have ever seen,” said Arabella through gritted teeth as she now stared at the open space where the villainess stood.

“I know, but we need her,” Keiran added. He took hold of Arabella’s hands, making her turn her attention to him, “Don’t worry I won’t let her harm your mate.” He added. 

Arabella nodded slowly before politely excusing herself and departing from the party. The rogue king looked at his daughter with a worried gaze. He feared her betraying them. Though Arabella called him father, he knew she rebuked him for her Dad’s death. 

Back in her small room, on the third floor of the dinghy palace, Arabella lay on her queen-sized bed reminiscing about the petty and hateful things she did towards the people that showered her with love and care.

Getting into the good books of the elder warlock Marvis was never a hard job, with the help of Ariadne’s trusted friend Gabrielle who had stayed back with the warlocks as a messenger to the villainess she easily passed off as the latter’s daughter who stayed among the humans until she turned eighteen. Arabella then continued to work and earn Marvis’ trust for two years until that fateful day arrived when she met Crystal for the first time in person.

Crystal wasn’t even close to how Ariadne had described her. She was sweet, loving, and never treated her like a subordinate. Many times Arabella wished to tell her the truth, but she couldn’t bring herself to it. The note that she had left back on the day of coronation was a genuine thought that she wanted the new queen to know. She had also left a secret message in it, hoping the queen had read.

Her thoughts then drifted off to her mate, his light green eyes flashed in her thoughts. The frantic look in his eyes haunted her. Despite her wolf longing to be closer to their mate, she had to run in the opposite direction. 

A few stray tears escaped through the corner of her eyes as she lamented over her past actions and her heart grew heavy with what more was to come. She hated every fibre of her body and wished to end the misery, but she knew she had to continue this a little longer; a little longer until she can be freed from the invisible reins. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: What do you guys think about Arabella?

Don't forget to vote and comment.

Only one chapter is left until I mark this story as complete, can't believe I have come this far.
Thank you for all the love and support.

Love
~Annie~