Chapter 40

It was supposed to be filled with joy and laughter, but it only brought immense sorrow and uncontrollable tears. It was the day of the Lunar Festival- the annual festival of the Lunar Eclipse Pack. Everyone was busy dancing, stuffing food, or just chattering away to glory when a shrill sound of someone screaming echoed in the air.

The women and children were rushed to safety whilst the pack warriors along with Crystal, Xavier, Antonio, Jay and Gemma rushed towards the western borders.

Upon reaching the borders, a horrendous sight greeted the group as they stared down at the lifeless bodies of the border patrol. The air was filled with a pungent smell of rogues, mixed with the metallic smell of blood. As the group went by inspecting the bodies for any trace of life, a scream of despair emitted from Gemma as she raced down towards the border fence.

There lay a lifeless body of Ellie dawned in her party attire, a slit across her throat indicating her reason for death. A few feet to her right lay Cameron, in a similar state as Ellie.

Xavier took staggering steps towards his sister and flopped into the dust in a daze. Watching her friend break down, Crystal rushed to his side and pulled him into her embrace as the former started sobbing into her arms. Silent tears leaked from Crystal's eyes as well as she cried along.

"How am I going to tell this to Mom and Dad?" Xavier said, in between sobs.

He still couldn't believe that his sister was killed and he couldn't even save her.

"You need to be strong Xavier, your parents need you. Please stop crying," said Crystal, trying to soothe the Alpha.

A sudden gust of wind blew past them, making Xavier stiffen in her embrace. He detached himself and looked around with alert eyes. Despite the feeling of sorrow being strong, a feeling of delight was slowly creeping up his heart. He looked around in frenzy, trying to make a run into the unguarded woods, and in his haste, pushed Crystal away, leading her to lose balance and scrape her elbows against the gravel.

Crystal was about to go after Xavier when she felt someone pulling her back. Turning around, she found Antonio tugging her towards him - a silent request to not follow the werewolf.

Despite Antonio's plea, Crystal couldn't let her friend wander into the unguarded woods. Therefore, she did the next best thing;

"Stop!" Crystal shouted, using her Alpha Queen tone making the Alpha halt in his tracks.

The group raced towards Xavier, as he stood stoic in his place, his eyes wandering into the distance. Upon closer inspection Crystal saw his eyes changing colour, she placed her palm against his cheek gently but Xavier pulled away seething his eyes now a bright gold.

"I want my mate," he said, as he breathed loudly, showing his wolf was trying to take control.

Everyone's eyes widened in surprise, as Crystal turned to look towards the woods. 'Xavier's mate was a rogue?' She questioned herself.

"We can't let him go after his mate," Gemma said.

"It's too dangerous," Jay added, placing an arm around his mate.

Crystal still seemed to be in a trance, but broke from it when she heard a loud thump and saw Xavier lying unconscious on the forest grounds. Antonio stood above him with a satisfied smirk. He had spelled Xavier unconscious to hinder his expedition.

Gemma then instructed the pack warriors to carry Xavier out and inform the pack of the incident, while the four of them stayed behind to inspect the area.

"Criss!" shouted Jay as he stood by a tree.

The other three, who were scattered around, quickly rushed towards him, as he handed a manilla envelope to Crystal with shaky hands.