Chapter - 34

A gathering of power. This was the best description of the present situation while the Alphas of all the packs gathered inside the meeting room. The council sat at the left of the room, patiently waiting for the new monarch’s arrival. 

Jared and Ezekiel sat at opposite ends, deep in thought, while the other Alphas indulged in small conversations. Xavier sat there, deducing a plan on how to approach Crystal. Dark circles ringed his eyes, his wolf pacing around his head made him more anxious. Also, the thought of not feeling the mate bond when they shook hands yesterday increased his nerves.

Michel loomed in the back of the room, keeping his distance from all the other Alphas. Blood Moon Pack was never appreciated for its ruthless killing, and Michel never appreciated the merciful nature of the other packs. 

All the Alphas were gathered here for the first official meeting with the new Queen. After the coronation yesterday, they were retained for this special meeting. 

The herald announced Crystal as everyone stood up to greet their monarch. Flocked by Bennett, Jay and Hunter, Crystal came into view. Her mystical appearance made people look with awe.

Dressed in a high collared full sleeve A-line red dress paired with a messy net cape, hair let loose in her wavy curls and wearing the crown proudly on her head, she oozed the energy of a regal queen.

Sweeping her gaze throughout the room, she met Xavier’s stare and held it confidently. She let some of her power slip through the gaze, forcing Xavier to look away in submission. With a satisfied grin, she made her way to the throne. 

The Alphas were shaken when Crystal’s power hit their werewolves; it was five times stronger than the combined power of all of them. 

“Greetings, respected Alphas,” said Crystal, smiling politely and acknowledging each of them.

The stark difference between her aura and behaviour left them perplexed at the loss of words. This oddly satisfied the councilmen present that watched the ordeal in silence. 

As everyone took their seats, the question hung in the air: ‘what was the purpose of this meeting?’ Sensing everyone’s silent dilemma, Crystal nodded at Hunter to address the crowd.

Hunter stood up with a stoic look as he opened the proclamation scroll and read aloud:

“Her Majesty, Queen Bernadette Crystal Lloyd, hereby addresses the Alphas and her noble subjects and shows her gratitude for accepting her as their monarch. As everyone must be aware, our Queen has inherited the warlock genes from her mother, former Queen, Luna Madeleine; she is also the sole heir to the warlock kingdom. Therefore, in order to return peace and fulfil the last wish of her grandfather’s Late Lord Alpha King Edward Lloyd and Late Lord Christopher McDermott, Warlock King; Queen Bernadette proclaims the United Treaty between the warlock and the werewolf kingdoms.”

Silence washed over the room as the Alphas looked at each other with questioning gazes. The rumours about the new princess hinted about the treaty, but they never acknowledged the depth of it. While everyone was contemplating voicing their opinions, Xavier spoke.

“But the warlocks are our enemies,”

Crystal turned her sharp gaze towards him. “Says who?” she asked.

“We have been at war for twenty years?” An Alpha of a smaller pack chimed in.

“And did the warlocks ever attack you in those twenty years?” Crystal questioned. The silence spoke louder than the words.

“Exactly, they didn’t. The warlocks were deprived of their home and loved ones because of an evil deed practised by our kind; but rather than offering them our condolences, my father snatched away from their last straw. They were left defenceless and devastated. Even then twenty years later when they found me rather than getting their revenge, they protected me.” she added.