Betrayal

A/N: I don't own Smallville or any characters and places in the DC universe. Nor do I own the episodes that these chapters are based and contained from.

I also don't claim to be a writer. My inspiration is simply to get a creative outlet going.

I only own Tyla Nevin and what pertains to her character story.

____________________________________________________________

"Lex...Oh, thank god!" Helen exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around Lex. Instantly, he embraced her. It had been quite a while since he felt the touch of a woman.

"I wouldn't say God but there was definitely an angel by my side. A Miracle Angel to be exact." He pulled away just in time to see her look of disbelief. "Tyla seems to be the only one on my side lately."

The doctor stared at him for a long while. The PR agent, did it?! "How did she?"

"She didn't give me details. That's how she works but she got a fishing boat to find me on a small island."

"But the rescue was called off," Helen added. She paused for a bit. The questions from that night, Tyla was searching this whole time while she was...living comfortably as it would seem. "I never gave up hoping." She looked up at him.

Lex cupped the side of her face, searching her eyes. Tyla kept her actions close to the chest it seemed. That or she did not trust Helen. "Why is it that she didn't tell you?" He asked her.

"Maybe she wanted to keep me from further harm in case you...."

"Perhaps. It was certainly generous of you to make me out to be a hero, just in case. She was preserving your good image."

Helen's eyes widened and looked away. "I'm so sorry, Lex. I shouldn't have lied to everyone. Maybe that was why she didn't trust me. She picked up on that."

"So why did you?"

"I just couldn't face what really happened up there." She moved past him. "I woke up to find the pilot parachuting from the plane, just like I told everyone. But I couldn't wake you. I realized you drank a whole glass of champagne and I only had a sip. You must've been drugged. The plane was going down and I panicked. You always think that you're gonna be brave in a situation like that, but when it really happens, I guess your survival instincts kick in."

Lex narrowed his eyes as she turned to him. He rested his hands on her shoulders. "Survival of the fittest. I guess you really are a Luthor now." Part of him realized what Tyla picked up from Helen. There was something off.

*****

"Do you think Helen tried to kill me on purpose?" Tyla dropped her phone while she was in her kitchen. Lex had called her about his welcome visit back home. He started to feel a newfound trust with her, especially since no one seemed to be looking out for him except her. She had already organized the trip to the doctor and put together enough press to send the word out that he was back but not taking any interviews now.

Tyla wiped her hands on her hand towel and picked up the phone. She pressed the speakerphone button and placed the flip phone on the countertop as she started to cut mushrooms for her stir fry. "You called me to see if I think your wife was staging a coup?" She asked. There was silence that indicated her answer. "I mean...the more I looked into trying to find you, the more her story didn't check out."

"She admitted to lying."

"Where is the pilot? No one to brag about how he stole $50,000 from you? There's still missing parachutes."

"So, there's more to uncover." He mused. Lex had to admit that Tyla's eye for detail was advantageous. "You almost sound paranoid."

"I've seen love and once I met her in person, I knew there wasn't enough there." Lex was about to ask her where that had come from except, she continued to speak. "She's still lying, isn't she?"