Relinquished

A/N: I don't own Smallville or any characters and places in the DC universe. Nor do I own the episodes that these chapters are based and contained from.

I also don't claim to be a writer. My inspiration is simply to get a creative outlet going.

I only own Tyla Nevin and what pertains to her character story.

____________________________________________________________

Lex stormed down the halls of LuthorCorp past his office with a scowl on his face. After speaking to his father, he was in search of some semblance of truth. Lionel had found out that he was working with the FBI to frame him. Lex didn't know how but it left him in a bit of a disarray. He was back to square one to usurp his father. As well, the blonde beauty resorted back to sheltered professionalism since the charity ball. There wasn't a single word spoken between them that didn't involve work. At home, she was scarce. It left Lex to surrender to two weeks of closed doors and silence.

He opened the doors to her office and marched in. Tyla looked up from her computer, unwavered by this intrusion but a flash of shock flickered in her eyes. Although, she had accepted that the man, who partly owned the building, would walk in whenever he felt like, she didn't expect him to look the way he did. His dark blue shirt was disheveled, devoid of the first buttons. His black trenchcoat was shrugged off his shoulder in a failed attempt to hide the evidence. Any other business would deem this abnormal.

"You've been avoiding me," he growled as he closed the door behind him in order for his secretary to not overhear their conversation. What happened that night wasn't common knowledge and he intended to keep it that way for as long as he could.

"And you sound like you just had a row with your father." Tyla added. She wasn't wrong. His face had more emotion than his usual stoic demeanor. His tone was much more stern that it usually was at work. He was clearly projecting to her. She glanced up to see Lex glare at her, testing to see if she would argue or deflect his initial comment. "I'm not.... ignoring you" She sighed and finished her email before leaning against her chair. She had a feeling that this was going to pop up sooner or later.

"Well, let's agree that we were both to blame for that auction and forget what happened," he said curtly.

Tyla crossed her arms. "Lex, it's not that," she said. In truth, so much emotion had come forth between them that she needed a bit of a breather. Of course, it didn't leave him room to ask her about their dinner date. "The auction was perfect."

Lex looked at her in confusion. "That was the single most wonderful night of my life," he started to say, feeling almost guilty for the admission. It was a couple of momentous kisses. "And you regret it."

"No."

"Then you are serious about going to dinner with me."

"Yes"

"So, what is it?"

"Our dynamic has changed." She said, simply. If it wasn't before, it would be exceedingly difficult for them to be simply work colleagues.

He stepped closer towards her desk. "We both prepared for that, didn't we?" He glanced over to the left wall which displayed the Jackson Pollock that he bought for her. It became the centerpiece, hanging above her mahogany shelving units which bordered along the wall with decorative sculptures, files, and drawers.

It was the single nicest thing that anyone in Metropolis had done for Tyla. The fact that it already bore such significance made her more emotional than she garnered for Lex and that night. "Lex," she groaned. She leaned forward to put her head in her hands, running them through her hair as she looked up. "You're not exactly reputed for relationship material." His past relationships were proof of that; all impulsivity, all damage-controlled until the end. "You can have whatever and whoever you want. I know because ever single we met, you see to it that I need to make it happen for you when barriers are placed. Once you get what you want, then it's on to the next thing on the list."