Return

A/N: I don't own Smallville or any characters and places in the DC universe. Nor do I own the episodes that these chapters are based and contained from.

I also don't claim to be a writer. My inspiration is simply to get a creative outlet going.

I only own Tyla Nevin and what pertains to her character story.

____________________________________________________________

Lex was in his study when his father handed him the letter. Tyla hadn't even waited for his arrival to drop something like this on his lap. Instead, she had slunk off while he was in recovery. Her two weeks were his while conveniently waited until then to present the letter. When did he live in a world where his father welcomed him with open arms and one of his greatest friends turned away from him? No, he had to remind himself that she wasn't rejecting him. He opened the letter again. He had read it maybe three times for the message to sink in. Reading it once more would remind him that she was leaving the job, but not her friendship with him.

Mr. Luthor,

Kindly accept this letter of resignation from me as Public Relations Agent with your organization. This resignation shall take effect on 16/02/2002, which also doubles up as my last day of work in your organization.

I must allude that working for LuthorCorp and LexCorp have been some of the most enlightening moments of my life, save for a few instances of misunderstandings through corporate. I shall indeed cherish the lessons and experiences I have obtained while working for you.

I shall treasure the care and trust that you have given me with every assigned task for each project carries a lasting effect to my person. It shall be without a doubt that although I am withdrawing from my duties, I will not be withdrawing from the camaraderie that has transpired here as not only have you shown how significant my impact was but how I was an advantage to your company.

I know this departure shall leave a gap that might not be filled with ease. I am fully aware of that. That is why I offer to aid with the transition period appropriately. Kindly let me know whether my intervention shall be necessary for identifying the one to take over.

Thank you for allowing me to work for you. It is with a heavy but full heart that I must leave. Should you need anything, a favor will be placed in the form of a retainer as you please.

All the best,

Tyla Veronica Nevin

It was clear to Lex that the letter was meant for him. This was not a typical resignation letter, not with the promise of a favor and using his word, "retainer". Not with the amount of emotion that was placed in each word of her handwriting. He thumbed over her signature and then carefully folded the letter back in its envelope. He leaned back, tapping the envelope against his desk, deep in thought. She did not give him a reason for the departure. He needed that closure. Was it something that he did? No, he was in Belle Reve. Did his father do something while he was gone for 7 weeks? Most likely, he had neglected to tell his son that she had visited him so he could also be hiding something else. People tended to leave him out of the loop.

He wanted to see her, even just to talk or visit. He wasn't sure on how to go about it. Usually, resignation letters or firing employees was something that he never gave any thought about. But this was Tyla. It was in poor taste to leave so quietly with so much as a letter. Surely, if she visited him, if she had tried to help him during his psychotic break, if she had brought him back from supposed death, her friends were worth more than a piece of paper. He huffed and went through his files to find her resume for her address. Then while getting out of his chair, he tossed the letter back on his desk and grabbed his jacket. He would be damned if she got out of his life that easily.