Ward

Warning; mentions of mental health struggles such as self-harm

A/N: I don't own Smallville or any characters and places in the DC universe. Nor do I own the episodes that these chapters are based and contained from.

I also don't claim to be a writer. My inspiration is simply to get a creative outlet going.

I only own Tyla Nevin and what pertains to her character story.

____________________________________________________________

Clark didn't have to ask Tyla what had happened to know that Lex had lost control and ran out. The man had caused a stir considering that when he arrived, two horses had broken free from their stalls. When he walked into the stables, Clark found the woman unconscious on the floor. Without hesitation, he picked her up and took her to the hospital. He was around long enough for them to call her mother, Fae Nevin or Fae Meyers as she had been for the past 12 years. When Tyla woke up, she was met with a very worried mother and a scrambled, throbbing brain that hindered her from trying to think up of an excuse.

Tyla had suffered from a distal radius fracture on her left wrist. Due to the amount of force that Lex had squeezed, she received two breaks – one on each side that etched towards her forearm. Thankfully, because the fracture didn't extend to the joint, it would be an easy fix but neither the doctor nor her mother believed that she had received it from an escaping horse that knocked her back. The doctor wrote it as a fall on an outstretched arm. And now, she sported a dark blue cast.

When she got back to work, there was an unexpected summons coming from Lionel Luthor's office. As she was led in, Lionel was facing her, typing something in his computer. He did not bother to look up. Although she was expecting that, she still felt awkward as she stood uncomfortably, waiting until the man spoke. "Have a seat, Miss Nevin," he gestured towards the couch as he got up and walked over to his liquor cabinet. Tyla obliged silently although her eyes never left their gaze towards the Luthor. The man offered to pour her a drink but Tyla shook her head. "It's most unfortunate about your little accident but I trust that it won't hinder your performance here. LuthorCorp has proceeded well with what you have done for us."

Tyla clenched her good hand against the Italian leather. This wasn't due to work, or it might. Never had he summoned her to the office. Lionel had always either called or emailed her. When it came to her presence, he avoided it until it was absolutely necessary for her to be there. "It's just a couple of months," she said in a reassuring tone. "Nothing I can't handle."

"I will see to it that you can receive the finest help from the best physiotherapist in Metropolis." Tyla cocked her head to the side. It wasn't an offer or a bribe. Lionel was keeping her close. This was suspicion. "Tell me, how did you get injured over the weekend again?"

"Riding accident," she lied. Lionel had not looked at her once. "All due respect sir, but what's the catch? You've never shown interest in your employees unless it benefits you." His attention towards her was out of the norm.

"How very astute of you!" He chuckled. "I can see why Lex was insistent that you stay on board. You're a smart one." He moved back towards his desk and sat down with his drink. This time, his eyes gazed over at the woman. "Speaking of my son, I am sure you know by now that he has been very ill and is now admitted into Belle Reve."

"Yes, sir. I am sorry to hear about that. It must be a very trying time for you both." And how foolish she thought that she would even get a straight answer from him.

"Regardless, there were telling signs. Signs that I am sure you have noted. I know that Lex has felt that he could confide in you." Lionel did not blatantly ask but Tyla knew what he was getting at. It was no mystery that the two became fast friends but if his son had told her anything or given her any evidence that would incriminate him, then he needed to know.