3. Destination Unknown

Eddy took a sip of his coffee and mumbled a contented "mmmm". He took out his phone from his pocket and opened the maps application. Time to decide where he will go. When he made up his mind to get away from his current life, he also decided that he will go somewhere he has never been. Somewhere he knows nothing about.

He pinched the screen to zoom out so he can see almost the entire world on his phone screen. He closed his eyes, twirled his hand in the air a few times and then plopped one finger on the phone screen. He immediately leans forward to see. CAPE TOWN. South Africa. "Amazing", he said out loud. This is probably the furthest place he could've picked. He has seen some pictures of it and some bits on the news now and then. He recalled it has a huge mountain that looks like a table. Other than that he knew nothing about the city or the country.

Halfway through his coffee Eddy opens his online booking app. Time to book the flight and some initial accommodation. Two stopovers. The thought filled him with dread. All-in-all the trip will take 26 hours. He booked a room in a Guesthouse for two nights. ANTIE SUE's. Sounds like a political movement against court cases, he chuckled to himself. The first flight departs in 3 hours. Time to check in. He gulped down the last bit of coffee and then walked over to the boarding gates to check in his luggage and get his tickets.

He never thought to check the visa requirements for his new destination. The friendly stewardess at the check-in counter informed him that it's not a problem. He can stay visa free for 3 months and then he can extend it for a small fee for another 6 months. Perfect. If he doesn't like it there, he can leave. If it's nice, he can stay. He checked that he has his headphones, wallet, phone, passport and jacket before putting the suitcase on the small belt. He took his tickets and made his way to the security check.

He regrets not bringing a small carry-on bag with him. He has too many loose things to keep track of now. He put everything in one of the grey bins. In another bin he puts his shoes and belt. Luckily nothing bleeped when he stepped through the magnetic arches of judgement. He puts on his shoes and belt and stuffs his belongings into his pockets. He needs to find a bag or something. The trip will be very long and this is uncomfortable.