35. Christmas in July

(UwU warning)
*******************
Brett and Eddy could hardly believe the amount of boxes the workers carried in.  They don't remember picking out so many things, and Eddy felt quite guilty now.  Maybe they picked out too many things.  What would Brett's mother think of him?

As Brett opens the first box, he calls Eddy over. "Dude, I will unpack and hand you the stuff to put in the right room at least. We can clean and pack it all away later", he says as he's starts handing Eddy kitchen utensils. Eddy walks back and forth with each bundle, leaving it all in the sink to wash later and remove all the labels.

They unpack a few more boxes and then Brett stops Eddy. "Dude, we can't just empty all the boxes. We have to put the stuff away as well. I suggest we do 5 boxes a day, as we need to practice as well". Eddy makes a sad face, but gives in. "I guess you are right. That way, we can be surprised every day", he laughs. "I suggest we find the laptop, printer and paper first, so we can print out the sheet music". Brett agrees, they open boxes one by one to find the right stuff. "In one of my boxes I have a music stand", Brett says.

They eventually find all the things they need for now. Eddy sets up the laptop and printer on the kitchen breakfast nook. In no time the sheet music is printed. It looks like a thick book. Brett assembled the music stand near the window. He also found his old violin. He opens the case carefully. He stuffed bubble wrap into every open space, and the violin seems fine. Eddy places the sheet music on the stand as Brett finishes tightening his bow. He glides the bow over the E string to start tuning it.

"Dude, stop. It sounds like a dying something", Eddy laughs as he takes the violin from Brett. He plucks the strings gently as he adjusts the pegs, and hands the violin back. Brett tries the E again. Better, but very scratchy. He puts the violin down on the ground and starts to rosin his bow. Then he picks up the violin and tries again. Perfect.

Eddy is ready as well. "Let's practice half the speed first", he says, as he taps his foot to set the tempo. They struggle through everything. After 2 hours, they finally played through everything once. "Let's make some tea", Brett suggests. "Then play it through again". Eddy makes the tea. Brett opens a packet of cookies. Neither of them wanted to show their disappointment in how bad that was. They enjoy the tea and cookies in silence.

Then they pick up their violins again. After the first few bars Eddy stops playing. "It doesn't sound right. Something is off", he says as he runs his fingers through his hair. He stares at the sheet music for a while. "Let's try this", he says. "You play first violin and I will play second". Brett doesn't know how that will make a difference, but he gives it a go. As soon as they start playing, both knew this is how it was meant to be. They play through the part they are practicing in one hour. It was rough, but it now sounded more like music and less like death approaching in the dark.

Both pack away their violins.  Eddy volunteers to gather all the clean laundry and fold it properly, whilst Brett finally goes to make his bed.  The view out the window is just awesome.  He sits down on the bed, folds his arms on the windowsill and rest his chin on his arms.  In the distance a huge cargo ship was moving towards the port.  One of the building's residents is returning with a speedboat.  Brett watches as the boat slowly comes to a stop.  Someone hops off on the jetty and ties the boat to the shore. 

"Hey, I'm done.  What are you watching?" Eddy asks as he enters the room.  Brett is so engrossed in his own thoughts he doesn't hear.  Eddy slowly positions himself behind Brett, wraps his arms around his waist, and rests his chin on Brett shoulder so he can see what Brett is seeing.  The man that tied the rope to the shore gets back on the boat and then another man appears from the cabin.  Together they unpack some stuff from the boat.  It looks like a picnic basket, blanket and umbrella.  They must have gone somewhere for an outing.  Somewhere only a boat can reach.

Each of them take some stuff and then the walk towards the building.  Out of sight.  "Let's go find the rest of the electronics", Brett says.  "I want to iron some clothes.  Look decent, you know".  Eddy doesn't let go.  "No, I'm too comfortable now". He snuggles his head into Brett's neck and then he gives him a soft kiss just below his ear.  And then another, slightly lower towards the collarbone.  Brett tilts his head.  "No fair", he moans.  "I'm pinned between the bed and the windowsill".  Eddy moves away and lies down on the bed, allowing Brett to move freely.

Brett chooses to lie down sideways next to Eddy, supporting himself on one elbow.  He gives Eddy the sweetest smile and then leans in for a kiss.  Soft and gentle.  He puts one hand under Eddy's shirt, slowly moving it up to his chest as they kiss.  He decides to reciprocate Eddy's earlier move.  One kiss below the ear, one by the collarbone.  Feather light.  They spend the rest of the afternoon making out.  Touching gently, caressing, kissing, exploring.  With one final kiss, Brett lies down, his head on Eddy's chest, his arm wrapped around him tightly.  Eddy plays with Brett's hair for a while until both drift off to sleep.