22. Advice

Brett rushed into the house. His dad was having breakfast at the dining table. He hands over the bank book and says "Here you go. I'm off to open the shop". Without waiting for a response he leaves again. He had no real intentions to ever open that shop again.

Eddy was waiting for Brett on the sidewalk. Together they returned to the bus stop to go back to the city center. They discussed the situation in length once they took the bus from the bank, and agreed the best plan of action would be to consult a lawyer.

As they get off the bus, they are greeted by a long row of lawyer offices. Brett picks one that says RUDY, SMITH AND PARTNERS. DIVORCE LAWERS. He figures if they handle divorces they must know something about family issues in general. They had no appointment, so they had to wait a while before one of the interns came to meet them.

They enter a very grand meeting room with a solid oak table and ten high back chairs. The intern offers them seats and takes one opposite them. "I am Stephan Smith. My father is one of the partners of the firm. I just graduated, so I am meeting all clients for the first time to assess the situation and help assign the correct council." "I'm Brett. This is Eddy, a friend". "Brett, why don't you tell me the problem, then we see what we can do to help?"

For about two hours they discuss his dad's illness, the symptoms Brett could observe, his mothers behavior, the money, the shop, etc. Then Stephan offers them some coffee whilst he leaves to consult someone.

"Eddy"
"Yes"
"Do you think I'm doing the right thing?"
"If you are doing it for your parents' well-being, then yes"
Brett takes a sip of his coffee.
"My mother will hate me".
"You don't know that. You haven't asked asked her what she thinks of the situation. Maybe she needs help but she doesn't know how to ask"
"Maybe you're right. This will benefit her too"

An elderly man dressed in a black suit with a red tie walks in. His clothes didn't have one wrinkle. His hair was trimmed neatly and combed perfectly. His shoes looked shiny and new. "Brett, Eddy, this is Mr. Rudy, the founding partner of the firm. He will handle your case directly", Stephan said. He took a seat next to his boss.

"Gentleman, the case you present is not unfamiliar to me. I have seen this a few times, and I will tell you what I think", he said as he adjusted his tie a bit and sat back. "I don't want to scare you, but I think your father has some degree of dementia brought on by a more serious underlying illness. I have seen many cases in the past. They act irrationally, even if they suffer symptoms and real physical pain. They believe they are right, even if the things they believe in are not logical". Brett is a bit stunned, but what was explained did fit the scenario.

"The only option you have is to have your dad declared medically incompetent. That means, that he is unable to make his own decisions regarding his health. The court would likely hand this power over to your mother. This means whatever decisions she makes, he has to abide with, even if it is with force. Courts always have the best interest of the person with dementia as first priority".

"But", Brett says, "what if she is not strong enough to take decisions on his behalf?" "That's for the court to determine. As I said, they will have his best interest at heart. If she is not willing or capable, they will look to the children. With no other options, they will appoint attorneys to make all the decisions."

"How do we get started?" Brett asks softly.
"First, we will get a court date. We will present the case to a judge. The judge will most likely send your dad for a full medical assessment, even if he doesn't consent. Based on the results, the judge will make decisions about future legal guardianship."

"Can I have a few minutes to think it over?" Brett asks. "Sure. Stephan, let's give him some time", he said as he gets up to leave the room.

"Eddy"
"Brett"
"Thank you for being here. This is not your issue, and it's a heavy one. Yet you are still here to support me"
Eddy turns the chair slightly so he can face Brett.
"Brett. I don't know why I'm involved to be honest. But somewhere deep inside I feel that I need to help you through this. And whatever you decide to do, I will support".
"What do you think I should do?"
"I can't tell you that. Only you can decide."

They sit in silence until Mr. Rudy and Stephan returns.
Brett looks at the lawyer.
"Let's do this".