28. Settling In

They reach the new apartment about 15 minutes late, and find the agent waiting outside the door.  "I'm sorry we're late", Brett says.  "No issues", James says with a smile. "I only just got here myself". James unlocks the door and they all step inside.

He plonks a bunch of keys on the breakfast nook. "These open various doors in the apartment. I didn't have time to try them all, but if you find any missing, please let me know. We will send a locksmith out to install new locks if required". Brett nods, then looks at Eddy worried. "We never stopped to draw money at an ATM. "

James smiles and says "that's not a problem. I have a debit authorization form with me. Fill in your account details, and we will deduct the necessary amount. You can also choose to have the monthly rent directly deducted. Saves you the hassle of finding me every month to hand over cash". Brett sighs in relief. "Sure, that will be perfect". James takes the forms from his briefcase and hands one to Brett to fill in.

Whilst they are doing the paperwork, the bell rings. Eddy opens the door to find the furniture delivery arrived. He shows them where to put the boxes. One bed and one chair for each bedroom. The couch and TV stand in the living area. The boxes hardly take up any space, and Eddy can't help thinking how empty the apartment would still look. He shows the delivery men out just as James was ready to leave as well. Brett locks the door, and then starts looking at the boxes.

"We have a problem", he says. "What?"  "We have no tools to assemble these things. I hope it's packed with some basic tools for assembly". They both start unwrapping the huge box with the couch parts. It's extremely heavy, and by the time they removed all the cardboard and bubble wrap, they are both out of breath. "I see we are both in peak physical health", Eddy chuckles. "Maybe having a gym downstairs is not such a bad idea".

To their dismay there are no tools in the packaging. They decide to open all the boxes to see if they can find any. It takes almost an hour. No tools. Brett sits down on the floor of the sea-facing bedroom, resting his back against the wall. "Guess we will have to go and get some tools then. Just had another thought also. We have no bedding. Or towels. Or even a cup for coffee." "That's OK", Eddy says. "We don't need cups. We don't have a kettle". They both burst out laughing.

They gather all the packaging and take it downstairs to throw it into the skip they saw near the road out front. It takes two trips to throw it all away. Brett locks the apartment and they set off to find tools and other necessities. Eddy googled some options and found a hyper market within walking distance. From what he could see on the photos they sold everything from groceries to gardening equipment. Clothes, appliances, you name it, they got it.

Eddy took a shopping cart as they entered and made their way to the first few aisles. Huge signs hung from the roof at each aisle showing what is to be found there. COFFEE, DRINKS, BABY CARE, PET FOOD, ELECTRICAL. They make their way to that aisle, but find only plugs, light bulbs, wires, etc. Luckily the next isle has all the tools. They pick a small combo set that has a hammer, pliers and a universal screwdriver with interchangeable tips. They proceed to small appliances and get a kettle. In the crockery area they pick out two each of cups, glasses, knives, forks, spoons, teaspoons and plates.

The last aisle is for linen. As each will have their own room, they each pick out what they like. Brett hates duvets. Such a hassle to put back together after washing it. He picks out some light blue sheets and pillow cases and huge fluffy blanket in grey. Eddy chooses red sheets and pillow cases and a comforter with black one side and red on the other. He can turn it over for different looks at least. They pick out 4 towels and take 2 pillows.  Eddy pays for everything, as Brett paid the first rent, and he thought it's only fair as they agreed to split the costs.

Walking back to the apartment was horrible. They each had about 5 bags they were lugging, and they had to stop every now and then to put everything down and take a rest. They reach the apartment just after 9pm, flustered and out of breath. Eddy puts all the kitchen stuff on the counter next to the sink. Brett looks at the bags of bedding and had a thought. "We never decided who takes which room" he says. "I don't mind the mountain view", Eddy says. "It will be amazing when the sun comes up in the morning". He knew Brett loved the sea views, so he wanted him to have the front bedroom without feeling bad about it.

Brett delivers the bags to each room, and then they start to assemble. First the couch. It was heavy and odd to work with, and obviously the instructions made no sense. But the result wasn't too bad. The TV stand was easier, as it was square and light, easy to move around and simple to assemble. The beds took time. Brett never knew a bed had so many wooden slats that had to be fastened one by one. His hands were aching after the first bed, so they switched jobs for the other bed. Brett held the planks and Eddy fixed the screws in place. The chairs were easier. Both were exhausted by the time all the furniture is put together.

The mattresses were rolled up tightly and once the plastic was removed it looked like a curly pancake. The instructions said it takes 12 hours for the mattress to "naturally inflate". They spread them on the bed as best they can, hoping for the best when they return tomorrow.

Tired, sticky and hungry they grab the last bus of the day to the guesthouse.