fifteen

"Since George is asleep now and you're awake, I'd like to apologize for yelling at you when we first spoke and when you tried to conversate with me." Clay spoke up in the silence of the car. We'd been going for a couple days, stopping at abandoned rest stops and gas stations where I could go in and grab snacks while the two boys talked and other things.

"It hurt my feelings, if you care." I mumble, beginning to say something else, but he continues talking.

"I didn't want to risk telling you information that I knew. It would get the both of us in serious trouble. I knew things that the government didn't want people to know, and if those things slipped and I told you, then you'd be on their watch list or something would happen with your parents." He paused, looking at me, and back at the road. I sat there and waited. "I wasn't ready to risk it. So I yelled at you instead."

"Mhmm." I just accepted it, not like this could change anything. I'm stuck with him now, and his friend. And soon his other friend. "Why does he have so many friends?"

"Who-?" He looks at me for a second.

"I just said that out loud, didn't I?" I chuckled in embarrassment, and he made a drawled out "ah" sound.

"You mean me?" He glanced at me, chuckling at the accidental blurt out. "I don't. I mean, I do, or at least used to. I only have George and Nick now. The others left me or ditched me when they found out I was against them." He paused. "I'm not against them, by the way." As if to justify himself. "I just wanted to help them but they didn't want the help and they're probably going to get brainwashed or something worse now and I tried to warn them but-"

"You're rambling Clay." I said and he went silent. He seemed more distant so I left it as is and went to look out the window.

A few moments pass, George's light snores were heard from the back of the car. "I worry about them, ya know? I'm really terrified because I used to be close to them." He softly said, his hands gripping the wheel just a bit more tightly.

I placed a hand on his, hoping that he loosens the grip on the steering wheel. He does and glances down at me. "I lost friends to these soulmate buds. They're not here anymore, but I hope they know the path they chose was not the right one. I hope your friends learn the path they chose will not be the right one." I say, hoping it reassures him.

I keep my hand on his, just to hope he calms down.

earbudsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें