epilogue

I was told Clay woke up in the van, way before I woke up. The law enforcements weren't really sure what happened, as they don't remember much. People saw "my parents" dead, notable and recognizable scientists dead, and so many others. They did not know what the project was, but they would've never approved of them in the first place had they known. I didn't wake up for a while, I remember being in front of Cara, Clay was off to the side, bandages around his chest and arms as if he was hurt. I don't remember much before I blacked out. The smell of fire, loud explosion sounds, the feeling of smoke filling my lungs.

I coughed out watching Clay jerk up and Cara look over at me in concern. I coughed because I remembered how the smoke felt, covering my lungs up. I coughed again and couldn't stop. Cara sat me up, patted my back in hopes to calm my coughing fit. I had calmed a few minutes later, with a glass of water being handed to me. "You're alright." Cara's soothing voice was behind and endless gulping. One that kept going until the glass ran empty and I was tilting it until there was no more. "Hey, take it easy. I'll get you another glass, it's okay." Her hushed voice helped me calm down a lot. By this point, she was out of the room and Clay was looking at me, his eyes saddened.

"You're awake." He said, his voice hoarse.

"You look rough." My voice not any better.

He chuckled, hoping to loosen the atmosphere a bit. "You.. are a wonder, you know that? Though, you were knocked out for a few days."

"I don't even remember what happened, I don't want to."

"Might be because you hit your head when I fell on you." His voice faded. "Sorry."

"For what? Saving me?" I let out a small chuckle, coughing a bit. Clay stood up but I ushered him back down. "You did, you know. I would be worse if you didn't cover me."

He looked away from me, his eyes watching the floor even though it's not doing anything.

"Where are we by the way?"

"My house." Cara pops into the door. "Duh." She handed me another glass of water, with me downing half the glass. "Halo and Zak are making conversation with Nick and George."

"Playing games. They're playing video games."

"And screaming at each other" Cara scoffs, sitting down. "Now, let's check your injuries." She glances at Clay, he doesn't budge. "Clay, get out."

"Fine." He rolls his eyes and stands up, very briefly showing pain, but hid it once he walked around the bed and out the door. Once he did so, Cara shut the door and began removing pieces of blanket and clothing. She started with the bandages on my head and I winced. It was worse than I thought when she kept unwrapping bandage after bandage to clean the wounds that have scared my body. Not as many as I thought, not as bad or deep some of them are. Most of them already bruised over. "Clay wouldn't leave your side, you know. I mean, it's such a cliché thing, those of that you'd see in books or movies."

"Ha- you're speaking in tongues- ouch." She dabbed some rubbing alcohol onto my wounds. It hurt quite a lot, stinging a bit with aftertaste.

"Sorry." She apologized, still dabbing the same spot. I winced and she tried to look apologetic. "I'm just gonna rebandage these, no worries."

I scoffed, shaking my head enough to not hurt it.

It was later we learned what damage we really did to the place and the secrets that they were hiding. Somehow, word in the "underground" got around that Clay, Nick, George, and I were the ones to do the initial bit. The "underground" were the group of people that were either always in trouble with the higher ups or those that never believed in those damned earbuds, as we learned from George and Nick. The dream team really does have a nice ring to it. The dream team, and me

Now what were those secrets? They had prototypes, electronics they used to communicate with each other, their brains already wired to trust these products. They were the test subjects, they were the first to try these objects. Without their consent. Then, the earbuds were made. They were first distributed to the older ones aged 35-50. Those that had relationships, would get each other, just so that the secrets wouldn't get exposed. Younger ones would get the second edition ones. These are the ones that my teacher, or Clay or Nick would receive, plus anyone before me.

Those were the ones that were supposed to be the final pair, but some adjustments had to be made. This was about the time that the "underground" started forming. Mostly made up of people who found flaws in these little things. "My parents" caught on quick that these weren't going to be good enough, they had known so many earbuds were going off the radar and quick. Thus, I was the first to receive such a pair that was quickly dispersed to others my age and that would turn 18 in the following years.

And as for Clay and I?

"What are you writing about?" Clay popped up behind me, wrapping his arms around my shoulders and pointing at the writing.

"Nothing." I tried to close the book, but Clay took it before I could. He swatted my hands away trying to grab the notebook.

He begins to read the words aloud. "Thus, I was the first to receive such a pair that was quickly dispersed to others my age and that would turn 18 in the following years. And as for Clay and I?" He looked down at me. "As for you and I what?" He smirked, smooching my forehead, making my face heat up.

"Give that back."

"It's been years since this happened."

"I know... I just wanted to write a bit. I wasn't going to share it." I softly say, a small smile planted my lips.

"That's the least of my worries." He smirked, giving me my book back. It was filled with little notes on the sides of each page, some filled with more questions than answers. "You've written so much about that year, why?"

"It's how I met you. I told you that already."

"Pfft." He laughed, "Yeah. And being nicknamed Mr. Asshole."

"You called me annoying, Mr. Asshole."

"Okay, okay, I hear ya." His hands moved defensively.

I went back to writing. Clay had chatted about how much he didn't really believe in soulmates, he wasn't one to care so much in "silly" stories and beliefs. Meeting me was different, though. If you asked me, I would say, sure. I believe in them, to a certain extent. I mean, I used the earbuds, even though they were problematic in the first place.

That's how I met Clay, as I've said before.

"Put the book down and come here." Clay whined, making grabby hands ironically, pouting when I wouldn't immediately get out of my book.

And as for Clay and I? We started dating, of course. Cara and Halo hooked us up though, with a house on a farm that Nick and George also live at and help out with. Something that we're grateful for so we don't have to show our faces anywhere other than here. There's plenty of land, desolate from anyone. For miles and miles.

"You're a child, you know that?" I put the book down and went to give him a hug. He nuzzled his face in my neck and gave me quick, small, kisses until he reached my lips.

"I love you." He mumbled before pulling me in for a soft kiss. I kissed back, moving my lips with his as his tongue asked for permission to slide in. I moved away before it could get any more passionate.

"I love you too." I smiled and went in for another kiss.

By the way, I almost forgot. Patches is a very lovely cat.