prologue

Everyone at age 18 gets shipped a pair of earbuds. These earbuds help you hear and talk to your soulmate. Your soulmate can also do the same, talk to you and listen.

If your soulmate haven't received their earbuds yet, the line is static. If your soulmate is dead, the line is a flat beep, as if the heart monitor just went flat and it's the only thing ringing. If your soulmate is not in range or is refusing to use the earbuds for communication, the line is completely silent with beeps of code that the others can't hear or decipher.

They can't understand it. They can't fix that bug. They don't know how to find you that way and can't listen into conversations. But enough about them. They're only rumors, no information about who they are and what they do.

I turned 18 yesterday which means I finally get my earbuds. All my friends got their earbuds already, since they turned 18 before me, and have been getting along with their soulmates just fine.

Usually it takes a few days for someone to receive my earbuds, but because my parents help work for and distribute the earbuds, I got mine as a birthday present, so I get to talk to my soulmate a lot earlier than later and I'm honestly super stoked.