eighteen

There was something about that night when we all sat around in a circle examining the layout of the place my parents worked at. It was different than I imagined, sure, but it was about the atmosphere that the boys created in the hours that we sat there. The meeting last night began as awkward as it could ever be, trying to chat but words never coming out the way either of us wanted. And it was when Clay spoke that everything else started falling into place. He thanked George for the holographic layout of the place, easy way to plan the route.

Nick began talking about strategies, on each of our roles, Clay pitching in as well. George offered other ways of breaking in, as well as maybe getting another friend of his to give us IDs to use, or just knocking someone out and taking theirs. They were, indeed, good ideas. Nick told us that getting a new ID probably would work and that we'd have to knock others out and take theirs since they would get suspicious about others. About "new employees", as Clay put it. They're a government building, of course they would suspect "new badges" from "new employees". These guys have wraps on everything and everyone.

We were already on the way, I already had short lessons on my gun. Short lessons, a couple bullets shot, then we were off again once Nick saw I was pretty much a natural. He had whispered something to Clay which made his face go red, looking away from me when I looked at him in confusion. I shrugged it off and put the gun into a bag, after being emptied of course. Nick grabbed it and threw it back into the trunk. We climbed back inside the car and Nick drove again. Nick and George both in the front, Clay and I in the back.

It's been a few hours since that has happened and I keep dozing off. What can I say? It's a long trip back to where I live. I would rather not see that place upon arrival. I've never been to the building that my parents called "work". It was something that they didn't really talk about. I would just end up eavesdropping, as one little kid that doesn't know better does. That's how I knew they work for the government, head of scientists and engineers.

"(Y/n)?" Clay snapped me out of my thinking. He glanced over at me, then turned away, back to watching me move off of the car door window. I rubbed my eyes in hopes of waking up a little, or enough to talk clearly without stumbling over my words. I nodded, for him to go on. He nervously looked down, but took a breath and looked back up at me. "I- hmm. Nevermind. I just ask that you stay somewhat close to me when we get inside and try not to get hurt."

I nodded, just to let him know I heard him. I can't promise that I'll stay safe, but I can do my best. Nick interrupted, going over the plan once more, for the millionth time it seemed. We needed to meet up with a friend of their's that can give us a not-so-suspicious van so that George can sit in it and do his little hacking thing. Nick is to come inside with us, knock some people, of who's schedule they know for some reason, out and get their badges.

Disguises will be in the van, the friend they know, know another friend that does this sort of thing. Exact disguises of others to carry out the best thieving. This case was a little different, since we were trying to get into a government facility and not some random store to steal a few items or money. I couldn't help but slow down each part of the plan that Nick kept relaying to us. It wasn't a hard-to-do plan. It was because I still haven't wrapped my head around it.

Three employees were to go on lunch break. We, meaning Clay and Nick, we're going to knock them out. We drag them to the van, remove all their items, including what they were wearing and anything that could alert authorities. We were to change quick, tie them up, put on our disguises, and head back in. There were three floors, the first was just a common room. Open area, desks, people taking calls in and making calls out. The next floor had most of the commotion. Servers, data, security cameras. Nick was going to branch off from Clay and I on the third floor and follow George's lead with some flash drive to help stop what they're doing. The rest of the work is left up to Clay and I.

The third floor, with all the main scientists and stuff. Where they located my parents and where the three people we'll knock out in the beginning, work for the most part. They did research, George and Nick, and know the ins and outs of this place, more than I thought.

I turned to Clay, speaking up after we parked to meet up with this friend of their's. He perked up, changing out of his other jacket. We had arrived over the time Nick was talking about the plan. I waved my hand, embarrassed now that I have his attention. I don't know why part of me wanted to catch him off guard. He's eye-ing me, face contorting into confusion. "Who's this 'friend' of your's?" I used air quotes around friend.

"She's great, a real charmer."

"She?" I looked at him in confusion. So far, all their friends have been dudes, so hearing "she" threw me off. I'm not judging here. It just shocked me.

It was only a few seconds later, a honk of a horn interrupting what Clay was about to say. "Captain!" Nick's voice was loud, waving to whoever was in the truck, van. The van.

"I told you-" She hopped out of the van and tossed the keys to Nick, him catching them after fumbling a bit. "To not call me Captain." She smirked, then turned towards me. "Name's Cara. Halo wanted to come, but you know how he is. He's a little sick right now though.. Zak is taking care of him while I'm away."

"Halo?" I scrunch my nose and eyebrows.

"He's the one behind the van, I'm the one behind the cosplay." She smirks again. "Zak is his bestie for the restie and Halo insisted on Zak living with us."