1

[BELLA LEDFORD]
Seattle, Washington

[BELLA LEDFORD]Seattle, Washington

˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚

A new attending walking the halls of the hospital is usually a good enough reason for every member of staff to keep an eye out. Measure the competition. Starve for gossip. With everything that Seattle Grace Mercy West has gone through lately, the last thing they needed was a new hire. So, when the news hit, it was very much to everyone's dismay.

Especially when it was confirmed that Dr Derek Shepherd would be replaced as Head of Neuro.

Walking from the elevator and leaving satisfying high heels clicks behind, Bella Ledford felt like she lived in a movie. Everything slowed down around her. Non-existent wind blew through her hair. Each step pushed her hips, once to the left, next to the right. Eyes turned to watch her like hawks and her being nothing but the prey. Shaking on the inside like a crisp, Autumn leaf fallen to the ground, Bella held herself together enough to ooze confidence people strive for every day.

Today was only in place to sign some contracts. Tour the hospital. Potentially meet other doctors. Bella knew what she was getting herself into with this job. An establishment that seemed to have been turned upside down. Doctors she has heard, read about, and met. People who were mentally, physically and emotionally traumatised due to work-related events. There was a place saved for her at Johns Hopkins, where she spent the last six years of her medical journey, training to become a neurosurgeon. So, no, she didn't need this.

She wanted this.

This was a challenge. A new environment. People she didn't know personally. Patients she has never seen before. A fresh field to prove herself. Scratch that. A fresh field where she could prove to herself that she was everything she thought herself to be. That thought appealed to her more.

Bella Ledford was an extraordinary surgeon. Born with raw talent. It resulted in her becoming a student that teachers used as an example. Someone who received constant praise and encouragement. A person who could be pushed to their breaking point because everyone knew she could handle it.

Seattle Grace Mercy West needed someone like her.

Making her way over the bridge, set by the large windows that looked out to the front of the hospital, Bella was almost at the Chief of Surgery's office. Dr Owen Hunt. Trauma surgeon. During her interview, he was present and they spoke a few words so Bella felt much more comfortable coming in before her first day. The email she received also stated that she would be meeting with the current Head of Neuro which was the part that terrified her.

Dr Derek Shepherd. Bowdoin College, and Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons graduate. Bella was finishing up her Core Surgical Training at the Oxford University Hospital at home when she learned about Derek leaving his private practice in New York to work for Dr Richard Webber in Seattle. Being a world-renowned neurosurgeon, Bella knew of him, much like she knew everyone and everything. Her goal had always been to move away from England and learn from the best of the best. Knowing that she had achieved that and now was taking over for the man who happened to be one of the two surgeons she would've loved to work with was pretty astonishing.