30

[BELLA LEDFORD]
Seattle, Washington

[BELLA LEDFORD]Seattle, Washington

˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚

Between Bella Ledford's friends' return and the newly opened box of feelings for Jackson Avery, she had a lot to juggle. Pulled into an emergency surgery the first thing in the morning helped her wake up from the weekend of booze, good food, and laughter. Thankfully for her, Dr Warren ended up being her resident of the day and she didn't mind him. Having his previous experience as an Anaesthesiologist worked in his favour and Bella enjoyed working with him.

What she did not enjoy was his attentiveness. Unless directed at Bella, she found it entertaining. Hell, she encouraged it. But once it was fully casting over her, she wished for a hole to open in the ground.

"All I'm saying here is that I haven't been in an OR with music playing in a long time," he cleared up with words, but his face spoke of a tale that completely contradicted him. "Especially not in your OR. There must be something in the air you breathed this morning."

"You know, I never thought I would be the kind of person who makes playlists for the OR. In fact, I was against the idea," she told him, anything, to take the pressure off of her own shoulders. "Dissectors, please," she asked.

"What changed that?" Warren asked.

"Honestly? It was Tom Koracick," she sighed. "I thought I would be the one against it, but you don't realise how much fun it is until you do it."

"This is supposed to be fun?" he asked her, and sounded very judgemental, as he nodded to the side where the speaker was. "This is depressing as hell, no offence, Dr Ledford."

And maybe it was. Maybe playing Adele's 'Rolling in the Deep' wasn't as good of a choice for everyone as Bella hoped it to be. But she enjoyed it tremendously. And it wasn't like she could step away and shuffle the playlist when she was standing over a cracked open brain.

"Tell you what, Warren. Once we're done in here, I'll let you add a song to my playlist," she spoke up but her thoughts had come to a halt stop as she noticed the bleeder. "Bloody hell," she muttered, more to herself. "Cautery... okay, Cottonoid, please."

"Dr Ledford," Warren's waning tone made Bella groan, and focus harder on the patient. "His blood pressure is through the roof."

"I can see it, Warren," she said. "Turn the music off," she called out louder, needing the space to think. This can't be happening, she thought, as the surgery took a turn for the worse. "God damn it. God damn it. I can't believe this..."

How did this happen? How did her week start like this? How did she manage to lose a patient, first thing in the morning?

The continuous, obnoxious sound of the vitals machine filled the room. This was supposed to be a fairly simple, straight forward procedure. Get in there, fix the injury, get out. Instead, Bella got in, fixed the injury, only for the blood vessels to leak blood into the brain. The haemorrhagic stroke had the final say.