lavender & matteo's elegant affair

I wonder why I could never bring myself to love jazz music. It's relaxing for some people, I guess, but it's... I don't know. It lacks something.

I wanted to drink wine, and then I thought, why not just champagne? But here I am, looking at the city lights while sipping my cup of coffee.

Antok na antok na ako, but the crazy in me played jazz music with my vinyl player and made myself an espresso at freaking two in the morning.

I took another sip of it. Shit, ang pait.

I could probably convince myself that I could still wait until three, but my eyes, even with the coffee and even with the music I so damn hate playing in the background are not enough to keep me up all night.

Whatever. I'll go to sleep or lie down. Anything but stand here by the window this silent evening.

Kung kailan pa ako papasok sana sa kwarto, that's when I heard the doorbell ring.

I stared at it. Thinking how dare someone to assume I'm still awake this hour.

Dalawang ring lang naman, and then it stopped. My phone had a text notification, and I was quick enough to peak, 'Sorry I was late, Love. Don't want to wake you up. Sleep well.'

I could've ignored his text. Pretend that I'm really sleeping, but I found myself replying to his message, 'It's Lav. L-A-V, you idiot.'

I pressed send, didn't bother waiting for a reply, and just went to the door. Bubuksan ko na sana and that's when I remembered to turn off the vinyl player first and just threw what's left of my coffee in the kitchen.

Baka sabihin niya pa, hinihinintay ko siya. 

Worse, he might think I was thinking of him while doing so.

My phone was vibrating and I knew Matteo was the one calling. I didn't bother answering and just went straight to the door. He was still wearing his white polo, his suit on his shoulders, and his tie barely looking like one.

"Hi, Love."

I just sighed at the sight of him. How could I wait for someone like this person? How could I even be friends with him? Why am I allowing him to visit me at this hour?

"My life would be a whole lot better if, from this day forward, you'd call me Lavender."

"Our lives will be a whole lot better if you'd stop calling at midnight telling me to come over."

"Ha? I didn't say that."

Kinuha niya ang phone niya at parang may hinanap, "You just told me 'Will be home by 12. Thought I'd let you know.'" he raised an eyebrow, so I raised both of mine. "If that doesn't mean Come here, then my life's a lie."

"It means what it says. Thought I'd let you know. Are you assuming things again, Matteo? Tsk, tsk. Masama yan, sige ka." Sagot ko pa this time. I like teasing him. I like how I can see his fiery eyes ready to prove me wrong even when he knows too damn well he's right.

I thought he'd fight back, but it seemed like he was legitimately tired. "I hate you."

"Go home. You're tired."

"Wow..." he said in disbelief, "Don't lie to my face, Lavender. You know you want me to come over. I'm too tired to even speak right now, so why don't we both do ourselves a favor and just go to your bed and sleep."

Most of the time, ayaw ko talagang natutulog siya dito but maybe I'll let him this time. He looks really tired anyway.

I just didn't say a word and backed out. Sumunod naman siya sa akin. Nauna na akong pumasok sa kwarto ko and waited for him to come inside too. He removed his clothes in front of me, not even sparing me a look while my eyes were pinned on him.

I had other plans for tonight, but I guess that has to wait.

Ngayon ko lang ata napansin kung gaano na siya kasanay sa kwarto ko. He knows where my stuff are and he knows where to puts things too. Such a neat freak and a fucking turn-on.

I thought I'd be sleeping by the time he'll come back, but the caffeine is finally kicking in, and I feel like I could stay awake for another hour or two.

"Why are you still awake?"

"Can't sleep," I said, moving to the side to give him more space.

He walked towards the bed and laid beside me. I like his after-shower smell. Isa nga siguro iyon sa rason kung bakit mas masarap ang tulog ko kung katabi ko siya.

"Just leave before eight, okay? May dadaanan si Esmeralda dito bukas."

"I thought Esme's going to that shoot?"

"May hihiramin lang, that one pair of shoes I have. Sapatos lang pupuntahan nun dito, hindi heart attack. You better get your ass off my bed and my unit before eight."

"Good night, love."

"Answer yes before you close your eyes, Matteo!"

Napatawa naman siya pero pikit pa rin ang mga mata. He looks tired and I will let him sleep, but I need the assurance that by tomorrow, he'll be gone, or else I'd die if our friends find out we're sleeping in the same bed even if we're not together.

"Yes, love."

"I'll fucking smack you when you're fully aware of how annoying you are being right now."

"Yes, please." He still managed to answer even with both eyes shut down and even with his heavy breathing.

"Fuck you," I just said before I kissed his lips good night.