I.VII

After being assured by Steve, Matteo, and even the doctor himself, I was finally convinced that Matteo will be okay. Kaya naman kahit nag-aalala, I just forced myself to go to the family dinner after receiving one warning call from Mama telling me if it's not a matter of life and death, I better attend the family dinner.

I was too distracted to eat properly. I know he's okay but when I close my eyes, I can see the bruises on Matteo's elbows and I'm just... ugh, I just can't help but be worried.

"I heard that construction firm your working missed the chance of working for a big project. Remember the hundred-something residential building, hun?" Mama casually says na para bang nasa business meeting kami. Papa just nodded. "Is the business doing okay?"

She was asking with a warm tone but I'm sure it's the least of her concern. Almost twenty years of living in this house have thought me how to ignore Mama's passive-aggressive attacks.

"All is great, Mama." I smiled at her. All is better than okay.

Papa was just enjoying his bowl of Bulalo but I'm sure he's listening.

"Did Ate Marina cook the kare-kare?" Heavenly, just heavenly. I never regret leaving home but the food served here was surely one of the best. Occasionally, they hire a cook but Ate Marina just captures what our Filipino palate is always craving for. "Yum."

"I met Gio's mother last time on the airport. Sandali lang kaming nagkita. They're getting married na pala?"

"Yeah," I answered shortly. Discouraging further conversation. It's good that she's interested but I doubt if it's genuine. Siguradong babalik lang naman sa akin ang sasabihin niya. She would find a way to connect it with my singleness then to some bachelor son of her kumares. Too predictable.

"By the way, hun? Did you like the gift I brought?"

"The painting?" Papa asked and Mama nodded. "Yes, it's in the office now though I think it would be better to transfer it here."

"New painting?" I asked. Not really interested but trying to get this conversation not relating to me going.

"It's a Celestine Lemair one, from her latest collection." Sagot naman ni Papa.

The name sounds familiar. I wonder where have I heard that before.

"It's a really hard piece to find, iha. She only releases limited paintings a year. Your mom's quite lucky to get her hands on this one."

"With the right price, of course." She said proudly. "Though it wasn't an easy fight. I saw your friend Matteo at the exhibit, actually." She said Matteo's name like it's some dirty word.

Napa-ayos naman ako ng upo while Samantha, who managed to remain silent during the whole duration ay bigla na lang nabilaukan. She drank her water and I swear I caught her cheekily glancing at me with that smirk.

I suddenly remembered where I heard the name. Matteo also wanted to buy her paintings pero napakahirap daw hanapin. He even said he's willing to splurge for it.

"I think he's quite interested in the painting. He placed a bid or two before backing out when I started to show interest." Parang walang-ganang sabi ni Mama. She took a sip of wine from the glass.

Something seems off. Though I can't really figure out what.

It was already late at night when I arrived at the building. Matteo texted me that he was home. Magbibihis lang siguro ako at baka bumisita ako sa kaniya sandali. I'll just tell him I'll borrow his charger or something. Uto-uto naman iyon. I think he'd believe me if I say so.

To my surprise, however, Matteo is already sleeping on his side of my bed. Naalimpungatan pa ata nang makita ako.

"Tell me, honestly, Matteo. Were you kicked out of your unit?"

He tousled his messy hair, eyes squinting while adjusting to the light. Biglang nadampi ng kamay niya ang sugat niya sa noo kaya napangiwi siya.

"Huh?" He seems like out of his self still. Hindi kaya naapektohan ang utak niya sa aksidente?

"Napapadalas ata ang tulog mo dito." I said but I don't really mind for now. Maybe I'm being too softie for him because he's covered with wounds and bruises. "You should've stayed at the hospital," I told him as calmly as I can. He looked restless and I just disturbed his sleep.

"All the test results said I didn't need to."

"And what about the driver ng nakasagasa sayo? Are you going to press charges? He better learns his lesson. You better make sure he does."

When they told me about the accident, mas malinaw pa sa sikat ng araw na kapabayaan ng nakasagasa ang dahilan kung bakit nangyari lahat ng ito. I wasn't able to meet that prick but I was informed he's still alive and breathing. He better be because he still needs to learn his lesson.

"If you won't, I will. I swear, I will." Matteo was just looking at me without a care in the world about that driver. Talaga bang wala siyang planong magalit o mainis? His unnecessary kindness is pissing me off right now. I better call one of the lawyers I know what to do in this kind of situation.

"Ako ang nasagasaan kaya ako dapat ang naiinis. Not you."

"You're too kind for your own good so if you can't do it, I will. I know lawyers-"

"It's okay, Lavender." He said rubbing my shoulders to calm me down. "I'm sorry for ruining your day but I'm better than okay. You can stop worrying."

"Worrying? I'm not worried. And better than okay? Look at yourself in front of the mirror and then think again." Agad na tumayo ako para maligo na at makapagpalit.

I heard Matteo's laughs while going to the bathroom. Mukhang okay na nga siya dahil nambi-bwisit na.

I was placing some lotion on my skin nang maalala ko ang napag-usapan namin kanina during dinner. "Nagkita kayo ni Mama?"

He paused, trying to remember. "During the exhibit?"

I nodded.

"Yeah."

"I heard she bought that piece from the painter you were talking about months ago. Did you let her win or you really lost?"

"You remembered? That just kind of slipped out of my tongue." He said making me look like a dismissive bitch. How dare him, of course, I pay attention. "Anyway, the price was getting way out of my budget. I had to back out."

He said it too lightly that I would believe him immediately kung hindi ko lang alam na may mali sa sinasabi niya. Matteo has no budget when it comes to two things. Art and fashion. He's often happy-go-lucky and his mind does not revolve around money which is probably why he's an even more easy spender, only to those things he adores.

I'd like to know if he's lying pero hindi siya nakatingin sa akin ng diretso. I just shrugged it off. Maybe he's really struggling financially. I wouldn't know. Maybe I should pay more attention to his stories.

Kumuha din siya ng lotion which I thought he'd apply on his skin but his hand landed on my thigh.

My eyes widened.

"What?" He asked, playing innocent. Napakasinungaling talaga ng lalakeng ito. "It's just lotion." With the way his hand is stroking my leg down to my knees, I don't think 'It's just lotion'.

"You're absurd and injured, madagdag ko lang!"

Imbes na makinig ay patuloy lang siya sa ginagawa niya. A half-meant sigh of protest escaped my mouth when his hand was almost reaching my underwear. A playful smile was on his lips when he touched me there, "Doesn't mean you don't get to enjoy."

He was resting a while ago and he should be resting but my mouth has failed to give him this message especially when his fingers were too busy and my lips were struggling to stifle the moans.