I.VI

"Teka lang." I could barely hear Ate Marina's voice with the way she's whispering.

I looked at the mess in my closet. I can't help it anymore. I've been so frustrated looking for that Cartier bracelet. It has been a long time since I wore it but I need my lucky bracelet when I present the latest (and hopefully, last) revision for that beach house project this weekend. It just occurred to me though that I may have left it at home after wearing it on Mama's birthday last month.

"Napatawag ka, Lav? Kamusta ka na ba? Bakit hindi ka na pumupunta dito? Malapit nang magtampo ang Mama mo. At saka iyong Papa mo, naku, tahimik lang pero palaging tinatong kung asan ka tuwing family dinner niyo-" 

"Ate Marina," I interrupted before Ate Marina reports everything my parents have been doing every time they look for me. I know she's worried. Aside from my younger sister (though she can be an irritating pain in the ass), wala na akong ibang pinagkakatiwalaan pa sa bahay. All the other helpers are kind but I know where their loyalties are. My parents picked the right people. Ate Marina, on the other hand, has been with us since we were young. She's more like an older sister to me. "Is Mama and Papa home?"

"Wala naman. Hindi pa uuwi ang mga iyon hanggang susunod na araw."

"Thank you, Ate Marina. I owe you one. See you in a few minutes."

"Kwarto mo naman iyan, di mo na kailangan magpaalam."

I gave her a smile. Not wanting to explain the reason because I know she already knows why I don't like visiting here unless it's really necessary. People here can't really mind their own business. I understand that they are my family but they are really, really nosy. And when I stay here, the boundary between advice and control is barely noticeable.

"Thank you, Ate Marina. Just tell Mama I came here to get something, ha. I'm sure one way or another, she's going to find out I came here anyway. Might as well give her the facts."

"Miss ka lang nun."

I rolled my eyes with the thought. Life would be way easier if that's the case. "Miss kulitin."

"Ewan ko sa inyo. Bababa na muna ako. Ikaw na bahala diyan."

After Ate Marina left, it didn't take long for me to find my dear bracelet. I admired the diamond around the white gold and my name, Lavender engraved on the inner part. This was the first expensive thing I bought with my own money. It is, in a way, a representation that I can stand on my own.

There were a lot of instances I needed that assurance because I always felt invalidated tuwing sinasabi nilang kaya ko namang i-shortcut ang lahat. Just go straight to the top already. Of course, I can. I admit. I believe in myself and my capabilities. I lack experience and Mama has always told me I can get that while staying in our company but I didn't want to take that path.

I wanted to know myself more. Kahit ngayon, hindi pa rin ako sigurado if taking the harder path and choosing to work for another company was the way to go but I'm standing on my own. I'm fine with that for now.

"Well, well, well."

"Shit! You scared the shit out of me! Why are you here?"

My sister Samantha looked at me with raised eyebrows. Her eyes were covered with dark eyeshadow and her lips were of the same color. She never looks like this. Oh, of course. Our parents aren't home so this little mouse is about to play.