III.II

Everything was back to normal... or at least, we're trying to. I'm still busy with work, Matteo is busy with his as well, and the rest of the world is clueless about our situation which was for the better.

"Food?"

"Kailan ka pa pumasok dito?" I asked because I didn't notice him when I was straightening my hair just minutes ago.

I looked at the food container he brought me and saw a sandwich he probably prepared. He's been bringing me food every time he gets the chance to. I'm not sure if I'm gaining weight because of the pregnancy or Matteo spoiling me. Pero tinaggap ko pa rin ang dala niya. He's a way better cook than I am. Sayang naman ang libre.

"Just a while ago. Hinatid ko lang ang baon mo."

I laughed at his choice of words. Baon? My goodness.

"What?" he asks, not finding the humor with his statement. "You told me your too busy to have breakfast so here it is, your baon."

"Shhh..." Pigil pa rin akong tumatawa. Such a weird thing to hear from him. "Just- let's not use that word."

"Baon. Baon. Baon." I stopped laughing because he's starting to be annoying. "Anong gusto mong baon bukas?"

"Shut up now." Unlike his usual banter-obsessed self, he closed his lip tightly and obediently nodded. Well, who would have thought having his child also means having the upper hand? "There's really no need to prepare breakfast. I'm fine... but I need to be healthy so if you can, can it be something green and leafy? Alam mo na iyon."

"Noted."

"I have an appointment on Monday, by the way. You can come if you want."

"Appointment for what?"

"OB, remember? But if you're busy, it's fine."

"Of course I want to," he immediately says. I just nodded. We haven't really talked about the details of how much he wants to be involved or how are we going to do this which was why I didn't ask for permission. I'll just think about that after this check-up.

"See this?" the doctor pointed at the screen. I just followed where she was pointing. I was too focused trying to connect how that... that part she's pointing is going to be my baby. It's kind of hard to imagine for now but wow, it's real.

"Here's your baby. Based on the size- about the size of a pea, we can estimate that you're six weeks pregnant. It could be too early to hear the-oh, there it is."

My heart was beating loudly and fast but I don't think it was mine I'm hearing. Nagkatinginan kami ni Matteo, amazed with the sound of the heartbeat. He suddenly reached out for my hand which I welcomed.

"Oh my God," I said under my breath. I can't believe what we're hearing right now.

"Yes, that's the sound of your baby's heartbeat."

I was not planning to be emotional but I can't control my tears.

***

"It's really... real." I'm still in awe looking at the ultrasound picture.

Alam kong totoo but I had a hard time believing until I hear the kid's heartbeat. Hindi ko nga kayang bitawan iyon. Hindi ko din maalis ang tingin ko.

I've been so scared these past days. About what other people would say and think, how do I explain the situation when we haven't figured things out. I thought I would be a bad mom for being this unprepared. Kaya mahirap isipin na totoo siya but here she is...

I want to laugh. I can't see myself having a baby before but I know, I'm even thinking that it would be a she. I don't know. I just have this feeling...

"Love..." I was back to reality when Matteo called me. "Can you believe this?"

"My God... We're going to be parents."

He laughed. "Ngayon lang ba nag-sink in? As for me, it was last night."

"Hindi ka siguro nakatulog." I placed the picture back on the table, within my reach and view.

Matteo nodded. I tapped on my lap so he can lay his head down. I'm not usually a fan of him being that close to me when we're just talking but I guess it's the hormone or the baby because it's something I don't usually do.

He just quietly rests his head on my lap. Matteo's eyes were closed but I know he's not sleeping yet. I wonder if our kid will look like him. My parents would be furious... but I wouldn't mind having a baby with those cute chinito eyes. Iyong matang sasabay din ngingiti sa kaniya pag masaya siya.

"I did some thinking." He said, eyes still closed. I touched his thick black hair. Bakit ba parang ang itim-itim ng buhok niya? I wish our kid would get my slightly brown hair. I always loved the natural color of my hair.

"About?"

"About what we talked about last time."

"You don't need to change your mind," pinangunahan ko na siya. I want to give him the assurance that we can modify a few things on our plans but there's no need to do major changes. "I can handle myself here. We'll keep in touch. You can visit as often as you can if your schedule allows."

"I should stay."

"I'll be fine here, Matteo. I'd still work. Besides, I'll be busy." I paused and he opened his eyes. "Papa's been convincing me lately to work for the family business. I'm going to say yes. It has always been the plan. So, don't ruin your plan, and don't worry about me or the baby. Huwag kang mag-alala, hindi ko itatakbo ang anak mo."

A weak laugh escaped his lips and he suddenly faced my stomach and lightly placed a kiss there. Ang tanga lang tingnan, wala pa namang baby bump 'dun. However, he looked cute.

"I think it's a girl."

"What made you think so?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. I just... think it's a girl."

"I'm okay with either but okay, I'll go with your guess too."

"We'd have to tell our friends, our parents... This will be tricky." I've been so worried about this. I knew no one from the family would approve, except for my sister who probably wouldn't care. Ini-imagine ka pa lang ang pwedeng sabihin nila, parang gusto ko na lang lumipad din ng ibang bansa and not care at all but I'm not that irresponsible.

"We'll figure it out. One step at a time."

I agree. Just one step at a time. "Friends or family?" and before he can even answer, nagsalita na ako. "Friends, then."