I.II

Gio and Esme announced their engagement to the group first. I didn't hide the lack of surprise on my face dahil alam ko naman na na mangyayari iyon. I'm happy for both of them but it's not the first time I heard the news.

Matteo on the other hand was an overreacting idiot who suddenly became Gio's bestfriend na extra pa sa extra. Totoo nga ata talaga ang sinabi niya noong nakaraan na hindi siya magpapatalo kay Steve sa pagiging best man. Such an immature competition but it was quite fun to see the two guys fight over being the best man.

Good for me, I've got no competition.

That also means I've got duties and obligations as the maid of honor. Hindi pa naman maluwag ang schedule ko ngayon but my friend will only get married once (I dearly hope so). I'll find a way and if there's none, I'll make one.

I'm kind of stressed right now though. There's a lot to change to that project assigned to me. I've talked to the architect and apparently, it's still not enough talking. Kailangan ko pa iyong isingit bukas kasabay ng engagement party. I don't want to complain but goodness, this is a lot of things to do.

I found myself walking to the vinyl player Matteo gifted me... is this even really for myself? Or did he buy this so he can play his freaking jazz music whenever he stays over? Napaka-scammer nga naman. Minsan talaga nagpapauto ako sa loko-lokong iyon.

I played some music. He also bought me one vinyl with Blues music. So I could 'play something that is not Jazz', that's what he said.

The song started playing and I thought it was the perfect tune to play with the city lights. I walked towards the balcony, leaving the sliding door open so I could still hear the music.

I realized it has been a long time since I saw the stars on the sky. Madalas kasi, maulap o kung hindi naman, baka hindi ko lang talaga napapansin.

It's nice to look around. I'm a city girl, I grew up in the city and I always knew I'd love to make it big here. Darating ang panahon, I'll make a name for myself. Maybe do that with my family's connection too. I'll never pretend I don't have that privilege. I'll acknowledge it and put it to good use like the perfect daughter they raised so well.

I tapped my hands against the cold metal balcony. Mukhang uulan ata dahil madilim ang langit at mahangin.

Papasok na sana ako but I caught this pair of eyes from a balcony in another building facing me. I can't help but smirk at how he avoided my eyes in panic when I caught him looking. He's quite cute; tall, muscular, neat. Not sure if he's my type but I know where he lives now, so I might once in a while pretend I'm watching the view. Him as the view.

When the song was over, I was reminded of the things I had to do. Crap, that's a lot. I can't go to the party tomorrow looking like a panda. Baka ano pang sabihin ng mga bisita. It wouldn't matter if I don't know them but the business world is smaller than I'd hope it is. There's no competition but there's also no harm with winning.

***

"My feet is feeling tortured right now, Lav. Hence, I do too. Fucking hell." Esme said through her gritted teeth. Para siyang tangang nagrereklamo habang pilit na nakangiti.

I laughed at her pained expression. "You really look like you are in hell, Esmeralda. Want me to rescue you? I can fake something, maybe ask Matteo for help." Tanong ko sa kaniya kasi mukhang nahihirapan talaga siyang maglakad.

She continues to smile while waving at someone I don't know. "Who was that?"

"Some bitch from high school. Why is she even here?" She whispered and waved her hand silently saying we shouldn't be talking about the girl. "My feet fucking hurts pero I can do this. I think? I'm bleeding. If this isn't my feet, I think it's internally bleeding or maybe it's my soul crying for help-"

"Let's swap." I volunteered and then showed her my pairs of nude heels that look more comfortable than the stilettos she's wearing. "Parehas naman tayo ng shoe size. I can just go home earlier."

This would be a perfect excuse why I can't stay at the party. I get that we're celebrating their engagement but this is just formalities na lang naman. Both families have big businesses. Esme has already told me that an engagement party is basically non-negotiable. Like all the other formal events and parties we were forced to attend when we were younger. Well, thanks to those social events I get to meet my friends.

I went back to the table where I was seated because Esme had to talk to a relative from her father's side. Nandoon nakaupo si Matteo and his date, apparently. I didn't ask for the details of where they met or how. I always keep mum about Matteo's relationships. He'll let me know naman if he's seriously seeing someone. Since this woman has not been mentioned yet, I doubt if what they have is something serious. If they are, I won't be a problem and I can assure her that. I know my place.

But it seems like she doesn't because I can see her stares through my peripheral vision.

"Your girlfriend?"

"No," he answered faster than the speed of light. "Gio introduced her to me last time. I guess they're acquainted and that's why she's here. I didn't even ask her to sit here. We just-"

"You don't owe me an explanation but just let me know if I need to distance myself. I wouldn't want to get involved in a fight over you," I told him, laughing at the thought of it. There are things I'm sure wouldn't happen. Fighting over a guy and the guy being Matteo, on top of that... never. Hindi pa naman bumabalik ang babae. I don't even know if she would come back but just in case she does, it would be nice not to be glared at.

"No need," he simply said before pouring more wine into my empty glass.