I.III

"Iced latté and a plain bagel."

I continued to look at the menu, not really giving a damn at Matteo who decided my order for me. That's my usual and looking at the smug smile on his face knowing that he knows what I want to order before I even do makes me want to hate him even more.

"Hot cappuccino. Chocolate chip cookies." I said with confidence. It usually takes a moment for me to order pero ewan ko ba. I can make my own decision and I can be unpredictable and I want to show Matteo that much.

I didn't even like that I was here spending the night at his café but I had something to do and I needed to stay awake. Siguro ay kailangan ko ng gigising sa akin pag nakatulog ako. Matteo is that person. He is an idiot but he can be trusted when it comes to matters of urgency. Urgency on my side this time, I guess.

I was waiting for my name to be called, just like every customer but one of the employees served it to my table. I would be confused but this always happens pag andito si Matteo. Parang nakikilala na nga din ako ng mga tao dito. I just thanked her and stared at what I had ordered.

Looks good, for sure but it's not my taste.

I just wanted to make a point earlier. Na hindi ako madaling basahin, like what he thinks. I don't even know what it is I'm competing for. I just want to win.

So I took another sip of the hot cappuccino even when I just wanted that iced latté. And the bagel... Ugh, I hate that I can't have it right now. They serve the best bagel pa naman.

"What's this?" I asked when Matteo showed up and placed a large cup of what I'd been craving.

"Stop being so stubborn, Lav." He told me and sat on the opposite side.

I just then rolled my eyes and proceeded to do research for an upcoming project that would keep me busy for the following months. I was tasked to design a house near a beach and the thought of it makes the butterflies in my stomach flutter in utter chaos.

Hindi ko alam kung ilang oras na akong nakatutok sa harap ng laptop while looking for inspirations that would possibly suit our client's taste but I can see Matteo still seating in front of me. He was writing something earlier but my eyes were glued to the screen, so I'm not sure what he's doing now.

"The fuck," I can't help but say nang makita ko siyang tulog na. He really chose to seat here and I don't know... disturb me probably when his office is literally several steps away from where he's sitting uncomfortably. "Huy." I tried to wake him up.

"Huh?" Mas sumingkit pa ang mata niya when he woke up from his sleep.

"Go there in your office, for crying out loud. I can literally see the door from here." I told him. Baka mamaya, sisihin pa ako pag sumakit ang leeg niya or whatever part of his body is not used as how it's supposed to with his current position. "Such a lazy-ass."

I was trying to lower my voice because there were still many people coming in. Seems like his favorite business is actually making a good profit.

"Huwag masyadong worried, Lav." He even fucking managed to tease me.

Imbes na pumatol ay padabog ko na lang kinuha ang sketch pad ko which caught him by surprise but he just chuckled and then faced the other way and continued to ignore me. Why even bother?

I've been sketching for three hours and if I didn't see the hint of brightness in what was a peaceful dark night sky earlier, I wouldn't notice the time passing by this fast. I smiled while looking at my sketch. They particularly asked for huge windows and a Mediterranean look. I couldn't blame them. With a sight like a beach? I'd make sure I'd see the sea kahit nasa loob pa ako ng bahay.

"Hey..." I was in a better mood so I tried to wake Matteo up with all the gentleness I could muster. I was trying to stop myself from yawning but it just escaped my lips. Akala ko pa naman ay gising na gising na ako but I guess I could never betray my body. "I'll go na," I told him assuming he'd just stay here until the morning like he always does.

"Sabay na tayo." He quickly grabbed my car keys from me and started to stretch. He looked like he had a really good sleep even with his choice of sleeping place.

"Fine." I can't really say no. We're just staying on different floors from the same building. "But I'll drive."

"Ako na."

"You were just sleeping. Baka inaantok ka pa."

"And you, on the other hand, didn't sleep. Inaantok ka na. Just sleep in the car, Lav. I'll wake you up when pag nakauwi na tayo."

After hearing that, parang mas inantok yata ako. I miss my bed already. The thought of my very, very soft pillow and comfy blanket is making me want to close my eyes.

"We're here."

Nakatulog nga talaga ako. Hindi ko man lang napansin. It's a good thing that Matteo came with me. But I wouldn't tell him that. He'd just smugly smile at me and would probably think I need him.

So instead of verbally telling him my thanks, I instead hugged him from the back while we were riding the elevator. I tried to disguise this awkward action by leaning my head on his back. Kind of wishing he gets my thank you and at the same time, may he just think I'm just sleepy.

Saglit siyang napatawa while gently tapping my hands on his waist and then let it stay there. "Pagod ka na nga talaga. You're acting weird."

He received a text message kaya naman lumayo na ako sa kaniya. I was wondering who would text him this early in the morning so I tried to peak and saw Laura's name. Huh, wasn't she the model she brought to Esme and Gio's engagement party?

"You won't go with me?" I asked him when we arrived on my floor. I thought he'd be too lazy to go to his unit. It's more of a surprise that he's not moving from where he's standing now.

"I think I'll sleep in my unit for now," he said with a slight smile. "Good morning, Lav."

"Bye then."

And while walking towards my unit's door, I wondered why he didn't call me Love today as he'd usually do. Also, he didn't kiss me before leaving like he always does.

But I shouldn't care. Why would I?