Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Isaac’s POV

I smiled at all the people in the hall, making sure that I was pleasant to all of Justin’s and Nicole’s relatives and friends (basically all the people I had never met before) as Sophie was holding my arm in a vice grip whenever I didn’t. I had been here half an hour and Nicole still hadn’t come down.

Even all her family and friends had arrived, and had glared at me when we were introduced.

“Why don’t you spend some time with your husband-to-be instead of making me lose feeling in my arm?” I said to her quietly.

She bit her lip, as if she was torn between making me behave myself and going to spend time with Justin.

I rolled my eyes, “I promise I’ll be good mommy.”

She stamped on my foot whilst making it look like an accident. “I don’t like that tone of yours, which is exactly why I can’t trust you.”

“Why is this event such a big deal? It’s not your party.”

She sighed and made me look at her so I had the full impact of her baby blue eyes. “Because she is already like a sister to me, Isaac, and I don’t want you ruining this party for her. She hasn’t been home for a whole year, and this will probably be her only chance in a long time to see everyone what with you as her boss.”

I shook my head, “I’m not that bad.”

She groaned, “Whatever you say, but let me tell you this, no-one here is your biggest fan, especially Nikki. I’m dreading it enough telling her that you’re my cousin, so at least if you’re in a good mood with everyone, it might not be so bad.”

Thankfully Justin came over before I could make up something to make her feel better. But I wasn’t so thankful when he glared at me.

“So this is the dou-” He refrained from swearing at me when he glanced at Sophie’s pleading expression. “Look, I don’t like you, and I’m not going to pretend that I do. But since you’re related to Sophie and for some reason she happens to love you, and not to mention your Nikki’s boss, I will refrain from hurting you and calling you things that I’m sure someone as snobby as you have never heard in your life.”

I smirked. At least he was honest. But I couldn’t help but think that he and Nicole really were alike, both personalities and looks.

Sophie looked between me and Justin, and then quickly let go of my arm and gripped Justin’s hand instead and led him away. I grabbed a glass full of champagne from one of the waiters and drowned it in one go, before giving it him back.

My gaze wandered around the eccentric decoration in the hall of their home. If it wasn’t for the way the party was organised, I would have been stunned by the beauty of the mansion – Nicole’s family home.

I once again wondered why it was that she was working for me. Surely it wasn’t because she just loved working as a PR. I mean if that was the case, she could always use her family money to set up her own business.

I shrugged mentally.  Oh well, I don’t really care.

I’m just glad she did work for me, because otherwise I wouldn’t be able to get her to accept my proposition.

I frowned as I pondered that.

She was the only girl I met who didn’t fall for my charm. I mean yes, nearly all the females who work for me dislike me, but they always have lust in their eyes when they look at me.

Now Nicole was different. Even when she first worked for me, never once did I catch that look in those chocolate eyes.

I had thought, maybe she wasn’t into men and was lesbian, which of course I’m totally cool with. But then there was that time I caught her talking to someone on her mobile at lunch, saying that she had a great night the night before with some guy named Luke. And I guess I realised that she just wasn’t attracted to me.