Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Nicole’s POV

I sighed as I flopped on my couch, rubbing the palm of my hand that Isaac had held, trying to get that odd tingling out of my skin.

I was deeply shocked at what he had just professed, and if I hadn’t seen the look of pure sincerity in his light blue eyes (they definitely hadn’t been ice at that moment), I would have chucked him out the apartment as soon as I had seen him.

I couldn’t help the slight smile that appeared on my face as I looked toward the place where he had been kneeling on the floor, and how much I had loved the new shade of blue in his eyes as he had apologised.

Groaning, I put my head in my hands as doubt spread through me.

Because from the two years I had worked for him, I knew that he wasn’t the type of person that I could trust easily, and therefore there was absolutely no guarantee that there was another side to him and that the whole speech he had given me could have been a way to keep me sweet and not break the deal.

But then my thoughts ran on his close relationship with Sophie, my best friend and now sister in law. If someone was that close and blood related to someone so sweet, then logically that must mean that there might be a small percentage of niceness in Isaac, right?

The ringing of my mobile made me snap out of my thoughts and I rummaged quickly through my bag to retrieve it.

“Hello?” I said hesitantly, as I didn’t recognise the number.

“Hey Nikki,” Zane’s voice said in a happy tone, and I looked cautiously at my phone as if it had just turned into a monkey.

“Hey, Zane; how did you get my number?” I said as I got up from the couch and went into the kitchen.

“Oh I got it off your phone while you were in your room getting changed.” He said as if it was no big deal.

“Dude, you rummaged through my bag?” I said incredulously as I pulled open the door to the fridge.

 “Well, I knew that’s where your phone was, and I wanted your number. It’s really no big deal, as I didn’t look at anything.” He said innocently.

I rolled my eyes, “Why didn’t you just ask me, instead of acting like an obsessed stalker?”

“Um…because I am an obsessed stalker.” He said teasingly. When I didn’t laugh he said, “You were too busy seething over whatever it was lover boy had done to piss you off to really care about anything else.”

 I sighed and took out some cold pizza, not in any mood to cook and I needed comfort food. “Yeah, well…”

“You made up already?” He asked, incredulity dripping from his every word. “Wow, you must really love him, because when we were going out it normally took you a few days to forgive me, and here he is getting a kiss and make up session just after an hour!”

Love? Yeah right. But I could hardly tell him that the reason why I had sorta forgiven him was because my curiosity was too great to overcome.

Well, that and the new discovery of how warm the tone of his blue eyes got when the ice in them melted.

Knowing I couldn’t say either explanation (the latter for my sanity) I decided to not comment on it.

“Is someone jealous?” I said in a teasing tone as I put the phone on speaker so I could put the pizza in the oven.

When he didn’t say anything my attention immediately snapped to the phone, my heart thumping a mile a minute, “Zane?”

I heard him sigh, and I closed my eyes, knowing I could not go through this conversation right now.