Chapter 1: The Silver-Haired Girl

One Year Ago

"Shin Ryujin, slow down, would you?!" Lee Chaeryeong, the bassist of ITZY shouted at the driver. "We might get into an accident on our band's first anniversary!"

"Don't worry, Ryeongchae," Ryujin reassured the anxious girl as she slightly decelerated the van. A cool breeze that came in from the window touched her cheeks. Then, she peeked at the rearview mirror. Stunned by the reflection of the blood-red harvest moon following the van,  she failed to catch the sight of a huge log that was on the driveway. Thus, she merely stepped on the brakes a few seconds before the van could hit it, and the vehicle came to a halt, startling the passengers as some of them clung onto the roof handles for dear life.

"Ryujin-ah, what was that all about?" Choi Lia, the vocalist, asked from the shotgun seat, staring at the driver with droopy eyelids while she rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

"We've got to get rid of that log," Ryujin replied, getting out of the van, followed by the rest of the members. After registering the size of the log, paleness began to take over their features, making them stop dead in their tracks in deep contemplation. For a moment, they regretted for not bringing their masculine manager, Bang Chan, with them due to the fact that it was impossible for the four young women to lug the log out of the driveway.

"I'm not sure if the four of us could move this thing," Shin Yuna, the drummer, said as she patted the log.

"At least, let's give it a try," Chaeryeong suggested, so they all began to shove the log toward the woods, mustering all the streghth they had in their slim bodies. At last, the log fell down the slope that led to the woods and off from the driveway. Shortly after, Ryujin heard a hoot from a nearby tree, making her head snap toward the source of the sound. There, she saw a white owl staring at her with intelligent eyes that sent shivers down her spine for a reason she couldn't fathom out.

"Snap out of it, Ryujin." Chaeryeong's  voice brought her back to reality as she was being prodded in the back by the bassist. "I will drive this time. So, get away from the driver's seat".

An hour later, they passed a sign board which welcomed them with "Welcome to Andong" written on it. Ryujin got excited simultaneously as nostalgia overwhelmed her. It had been six years since she left her hometown and the memories of her childhood behind. After driving for a few more minutes, they finally parked in front of a familiar, old mansion, where another young woman was waiting for them with a torch in her hand. She was beaming at them from ear to ear as they hopped off the car, her captivating feline eyes disappearing due to her bright, gummy smile.

"Jennie unnie!" Ryujin called her name with excitement and pulled her into a bear hug, thus squeezing the breath out of the latter in the process.  "It's so good to see you again!"

"I really missed you too, Ryujinnie," Kim Jennie squeaked, reciprocating the gesture.  "But I can't breathe". Then, Ryujin released her when she realized that she was holding her too tight. After the other members introduced themselves to Jennie, she made them supper, and they all shared their stories in the dining room, spending the night with joyous laughters and winsome smiles. It was, indeed, a wonderful night that reinvigorated them after all those exhausting performances and fan meetings ITZY had, back in Seoul.

Nevertheless, a particular whisker-dimpled girl couldn't sleep even though all her bandmates were heavily succumbed to their slumber in their given rooms. On the spur of the moment, a sweet piano music broke the silence and Ryujin was jolted out of bed. Next, she clicked the power button on her cell phone to check the time- 11:45 P.M.

That's weird. Who's playing piano in the middle of the night? Someone in the house might be playing it since nobody in the band knows how to play a piano, except me. She mused, her feet hitting the floor as she stretched her joints, cracking her neck at the same time.