Chapter 58: The Demon Lord

One Year Ago

"Let's go the other way," Jennie commanded, turning on her heels, followed suit by others as they fled from the road that had fallen into ruination just before they could reach the other side. Hence, they went back the way they came from, perturbed and concerned about a particular bluehead who had just parted ways to save her spirit lover.

Out of nowhere, hair stood erect on their end, accompanied by a whirr of wind advancing to their direction. Lisa, being the first one to catch sight of an enormous object being catapulted toward them, squalled mightily as she tugged Jennie toward her and dragged her down with her, "EVERYONE DUCK!"

Just as everyone threw themselves to the ground, the object whizzed past them and crashed into an derelict edifice looming over the road before plunging to the ground, shards of metals and glass flying everywhere in the process. Succedent to the unforeseen collision was a thunderous roar that juddered the whole area until rubbles of asphalt bounced up from the road; the raucous noise had almost ruptured the squad's eardrums.

Winter felt weak to the knees as she got up from her crouch, with a gaze of distress, she gathered her courage to cast it to the object that had just been thrown, only to recognize it as the hospital bus that had formerly been a means of escape from the army of ghouls- on which she had requested Minji to stay behind.

"No. No. It can't be!" She wailed and darted to the wreckage of the bus, not bothered by the humongous humanoid zeroing in on her from behind.

"Winter-yah! Watch out!" Yuna exclaimed when the giant swung its hand and tried to snatch Winter up. Luckily, the shaman's daughter dodged in time and stumbled on her own foot, planting her palms to the ground as she landed on her butt. She prowled backward whilst the humanoid squatted and leveled its hideous face to hers, provoking her to gag at its foul breath that could deteriorate any form of life in its way. Instantaneously as the giant's jaw hinged down to devour Winter, she jammed the tip of her katana into its eyeball, inducing an ear-screeching scream from it. Then, she rolled away to the side, far from its reach, and sprang to her feet.

While the creature was consumed by its agony and teetering off-balance, Winter managed to make a beeline for the wreckage, her only concern being the safety of her crush's little sister and everyone else who had boarded the vehicle. At the same time, the other girls dodged and avoided being crashed by the humanoid's feet as it half-blindly stomped, its palm covering the injured eye with blood spewing out between the gaps of its fingers ceaselessly like a sprinkler.

"Alright, calm down now, Baek Mo," a gravelly yet authoritative voice resonated across from the opposite direction, putting a stop to the commotion. Just as quickly as the voice resounded, the humongous creature halted dead in his tracks, whimpering like a puppy, it slouched its shoulders and plonked down to the ground. Rubbles were launched and thrown everywhere due to the force derived from the creature's inhumanely colossal butt. Tucking its knees upward and wrapping its arms around them, it locked eyes with the man who called out its name.

Winter explored the ruined bus with devastation and hope combined, all the while Jennie, Lisa, Lia, Chaeryeong and Yuna sidled away, intimidated by the newcomers who seemed to be human but inhumane at the same time. They marched over in a subdued speed, wicked grins plastered on their masculine features, their ancient armors and weapons clanging with every move they made.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?" The burly man who got the humanoid under his control chuckled, folding his arms over his chest, an obsidian scythe snugged between his armpit. "I'm truthfully astounded to see more than ten survivals around this city since I thought my servants were invincible to be defeated."