Chapter 44: Soulless

Ryujin's eyes shot open and she roused herself, sitting upright on the wooden floor as she retched and hyperventilated with erratic breaths. She racked her brain, trying to remember how she ended up lying on the cold floor with a pool of dark crimson liquid surrounding her, and her whole body reeked of a metallic smell that was akin to that of blood's.

Wait. That's my blood! She mused, eventually remembering how the red-haired spirit had spiked her to death, not to mention impaling her heart with the rod. So, does that mean I'm... I'm dead? For a moment, solemnity elapsed her features like a passing leaf before a wide whisker-dimpled smile begin to gradually form on her face, her heart singing with an indescribable joy as laughter burst out of her lips. So that means I can finally date Yeji unnie again? Speaking of her, where's she?

Immediately after she swiveled her body, a thread-like material fell from her head, landing onto her lap, so she held it up to her eye-level to examine it. Then, she ruffled her hair, making another piece of thread fall. It was at that moment she realized those pieces of thread were the remains of the suture used to stitch her head injury. Afterward, she touched the area where the wound was supposed to be, only to find out that her scalp was unscathed, much to her amazement. Oh yeah. I'm dead. Why would there be a gash on my head or— then why did the suture fall off my head and why do I feel so solid? Her hands began to fumble and roam her own body, absolutely perplexed. As soon as her palm trailed up to her left chest and felt a regular pattern of thumps beneath it, she widened her eyes to the size of saucers. "No way... I'm not dead? I'm...I'm alive?! H-how is that even possible?" Next, she discerned that all the wounds on her body had been healed as if she was reborn, in a brand new body indeed, whereas her clothes were still stained with blood. "I'm seriously still alive? Aish. What a bummer," she huffed and pouted.

"I've never seen a person who pouts when they know that they're still alive." Startled, Ryujin flinched at the weak little chuckle and snapped her head toward the source of the sound, momentarily puzzled as she only saw bare feet blood smeared impressions on the empty floor, where she deemed the owner of the voice to be. Once she squinted her eyes and thoroughly scanned the area, she was able to make out Yeji's soul curling up on the floor, subtly transparent and flickering to the extent that she looked like she was camouflaged. "Unnie!" The youngest of the two panicked and hurried toward the oldest out of concern. Kneeling next to the silver-haired spirit, she scooped her frosty body and let her nestle in her warm arms, extremely relieved that she was still able to touch the spirit regardless of how intangible the latter appeared to be. "W-why are you like this? You look like you're disappearing."

"Don't you worry. It's just energy drainage. I'll be recharged soon," Yeji beamed, cat eyes forming into crescents, and she placed an ice-cold palm on Ryujin's cheek, feeling the warmth of the human girl flowing through her fingertips. "Thank goddess you're fine, Ryuddaeng."

"Why was your energy drained?" The blue-haired girl inquired, obvious apprehension laced her voice, and intertwined the hand that was rested on her cheek. "Does that... does that have something to do with me? With me being like this?" She interrogated, referring to her miraculous survival from such a deadly assault, a homicide conducted by a maleficent spirit to be precise.

"I just couldn't let you die," Yeji replied, locking eyes with Ryujin.

"You should've let me. In that why, I could've-" The human was interrupted with a frail flick on her forehead.

"Don't be insensitive, Ryujin-ah. Think about the grief you might bring to your parents, your members and your fans. Do you think they would be able to handle it well?" Right at that instant, Yeji was able to strike a nerve and make guilt propel out of Ryujin, so the latter hung her head low in embarrassment. "Ryuddaeng..." The silver head lifted the blue head's chin and casted a look of reassurance, making her relax. "Live well and thrive hard for me, arraseo?"