Chapter 7

Chapter 7

To say that I wanted to dig a hole, crawl into it, and reside there for all eternity in hopes that at least some of my embarrassment would die down, would be an understatement.

          The pretty girl who had burst into the room was now standing a few feet away from mine and Talon's tangled bodies, her hands on her hips, glaring hard at my kidnapper. And to be fair, Talon didn't look like a gleaming ray of sunshine either.

          "Great timing, Belle," Talon muttered under his breath.

          I placed my hands over Talon's and attempted to pull them away from my body, but to no avail. He obviously wasn't willing to let me go. Maybe that was due to the fact that this was the closest we had physically been to one another for more than two minutes and Talon wasn't willing to give that up yet.

          I, however, was.

          "Talon, let me go," I told him in what I hoped was a low voice.

          "Yeah, Talon," the girl spat out, and boy did she seem livid with him. "Let her go."

          Talon sighed and begrudgingly loosened his grip on me so that I was able to stand up. He followed suit and adjusted his shirt before facing the intruder. Before he could so much as open his mouth, the girl exploded.

          "You had no right!" she shouted at him, wasting no time. I took that as my cue to step away from Talon and linger on the side as the argument unfolded in front of me.

          "Lower your voice, Isabelle," Talon ordered in a dangerously calm voice.

          "Don't. Don't you dare try to use your power against me."

          Talon raised an eyebrow challengingly. "Or what? You're going to throw a tantrum like you always do?"

          "I have every right to be mad at you. Every damn right." Isabelle was seething. "What you did yesterday was completely uncalled for. And then you went and disappeared for the rest of the night, leaving me to deal with the mess, as usual. Do you have any idea what you've done?"

          "I did what I had to do, Belle," Talon defended himself.

          Isabelle shook her head in disbelief at his words. "What you had to do? You didn't have to do anything, Talon. It wasn't your place to interfere."

          "You're my little sister," he retorted as if it was the logical answer to his actions, whatever they were. "If it's not my place to make sure you don't get hurt, who's is it?"

          Shock filled me and I let my lips part and brows raise in surprise. So she was the infamous younger sister who owned pyjamas two sizes too small for her? I did not see that one coming.

          I studied Isabelle curiously, only just realising how much she resembled her older brother. She had the same piercing blue eyes that lit up in flames, boring into your soul whether you liked it or not. Her hair cascaded down her shoulders in caramel waves, matching her tan complexion which Talon shared. She was definitely a beautiful young girl.

          "I don't care who I am," she said. "And I'm not interested in what you think you were doing to try to protect me. You have no right to dictate who I can and can't see. I'm not a child."

          "I think you'll find that I have every right, actually."

          "Why? Because you're this great leader who saved the pack even though you're only nineteen?" She was mocking him. "You think any of that matters to me?"