Chapter 26

"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life."

        —Muhammad Ali, may he rest in peace ♡

Chapter 26

"And you're sure this is going to help us find Isabelle?" I asked Sierra with a raised eyebrow, making sure to match the sixteen-year-old's hurried strides as she led us to what could be our demise.

          "I'm hopeful," she responded. "But not exactly sure, no."

          "Wonderful. Remind me again what we're doing here?" I had meant it sarcastically but Sierra was on hand with a response.

          "Isabelle and Jared may not have completed the mating process but he was smart enough to mark her. He'll be able to feel if she's any pain and he has a better chance of getting inside her head. Right now he's kind of our only hope."

          "Yeah, I guess." And then, "How long until the guys get here?"

          "What guys?"

          I rolled my eyes. "Come on, Sierra."

          "What?"

          "Can you answer the question, please?"

          "I would but I have no idea what you're talking about," Sierra said.

          My mouth fell open. "You're kidding, right? Sierra, please tell me that you're kidding."

          "I'm afraid not. I am kind of confused though, I'm not going to lie."

          I stopped walking, reaching an arm out to halt Sierra in the process. She frowned, eyeing me in puzzlement. "Talon, Ashton and Cruz," I said slowly. "They're on their way here. Right?"

          Realisation dawned upon Sierra, a sheepish smile settling on her mouth. "Uh. . . Wrong?"

          "Sierra!" I scolded.

          She sighed, "I forgot, I'm sorry."

          "Do you have a death wish?! We're about to roll into your opposing pack's territory to ask for help and you didn't think we'd need back-up? Or that Isabelle's own brother, who happens to be your Alpha, would want to know that she's missing? And what about your brother, huh? How do you think he's going to react when he finds out that his little sister is strolling through this place like it's some sort of park?"

          "When I realised that Isabelle was missing all I was focused on was finding you and then finding her," Sierra explained. "Calling the guys wasn't exactly on my list of priorities, okay?"

          We stood in silence for a moment, breathing heavily as I realised that we were minutes away from entering Lumine Mount's territory and if we got ourselves killed, our family and friends would be none the wiser.

          This shitty ending guarantee was really starting to piss me off.

          "Let's just tell the guys now," I told Sierra, tired more than anything else. "Better late than never, right?"

          Sierra nodded her head, fishing her phone out of her pocket before sighing and showing me the screen. She had no service. "I'll try mind-linking," she said. An entire minute of me staring at Sierra as she attempted to have mental conversation with one of the guys, passed. Then, "Done."

          I raised an eyebrow. "Who did you talk to?"

          "It was kind of a group thing," Sierra revealed. "And I definitely have a headache."