Chapter 25

Chapter 25

"You're avoiding me," Talon said as he stood in the doorway of Emilia's bedroom, where I was playing with the five-year-old. After returning from brunch yesterday, Cruz and Dante were waiting in the kitchen with their little sister, who stole my heart in a matter of seconds. In a house filled with werewolf parents and their teenage offsprings, Emilia was a happy diversion, so I spent the rest of the day watching movies with her.

          I kept my eyes on Emilia, who was focusing on the jigsaw puzzle we had spread out on the floor. "Am I?" I replied nonchalantly.

          "Yeah, you are." Then he walked inside the room and crouched down so he was at mine and Emilia's level, giving the latter his full attention. "Hey, Emilia."

          When her eyes connected with Talon's, they lit up, a grin spreading across her lips. "Hi, Talon," she greeted her Alpha enthusiastically. A match lit inside me, warming my soul.

          "What have you got there?"

          "A jigsaw puzzle."

          "Yeah? It looks awesome," Talon complimented even though Emilia and I had barely started.

          "Ava's helping," Emilia replied, earning a smile from yours truly.

          "Speaking of Ava, do you mind if I steal her for a little while? I need to talk to her about some boring grown-up stuff," Talon said.

          Emilia glanced hesitantly between Talon and I before settling on him. "You promise to bring her back?"

          "Cross my heart."

          "Okay. . . Then I guess so."

          "Awesome. You're the best," Talon replied. I raised an eyebrow at him as if to say, really?, which he responded to by shrugging.

          "I'll see you later, Emilia," I said, offering her an apologetic smile. She just grinned obliviously, continuing to fit pieces of the jigsaw together. Talon and I stood up simultaneously and made our way out Emilia's bedroom, and I knew he deserved an explanation as to why I had barely looked at him since yesterday's brunch outing.

          When Talon and I reached his bedroom, he shut the door behind us, walked to his bed, and sat down. I leaned my back against the wall opposite him, arms folded against my chest. Talon didn't take his eyes off mine, not even for a second.

          Sensing that he was waiting for me to break the silence, I said, "I haven't been avoiding you on purpose."

          He raised an eyebrow. "So you just accidentally walk out of every room I enter and accidentally stare at your feet whenever I look at you? And sleeping in Belle's room last night, that was just a happy coincidence?"

          "Okay, I deserved that." I sighed, running my fingers through my hair, which had been resting intentionally over one side of my shoulder.

          "Is that what this is about?" Talon said.

          I frowned. "What are you talking about?"

          He stood up and strode across the room until he was standing right in front of me, before moving my hair back so that it cascaded down my back.

          "Talon, what are y—"

          His fingers brushed along my neck and across my collarbone, touching the hickeys he had branded me with two days ago. Up until this very moment, I had been doing an expert job of keeping them hidden, and an even better job of avoiding Talon. Clearly my life was ready for some drama again.