Chapter 15

Chapter 15

"Is it me, or did Talon just turn into a giant wolf?"

          "It's definitely you," Ashton answered, not missing a beat as his eyes remained on me whilst mine were fixated on the five-foot-something animal that was a six-foot-something teenage boy less than a minute ago.

          He was much bigger and somehow more beautiful than the three I had encountered so far in this town. His dark brown fur was thick and smooth looking, his size matched mine, and there was some sort of power emanating from his pores. I would have thought that my mind was playing tricks on me had it not been for the fact that the wolf had brilliant blue eyes that were staring into mine almost cautiously, waiting for my next move.

          There was no denying it. The wolf before me was definitely Talon Rivera.

          When the disturbing truth finally sunk in, I felt my stomach sink. Usually my instincts begged me to run away but right now they were mute.

          "Oh, my God," I whispered, stumbling back helplessly until I was against the wall. The wolf, or Talon, apparently, started to step forward but I screamed, causing Ashton to wince from the side.

          "Jesus, you're going to burst an eardrum," Ashton muttered, causing me to glance at him. "I need you to try your hardest not to freak out, okay, Avalon? This is all perfectly normal."

          "You need me to try my hardest not to. . ." I was so hysterical I couldn't even finish my sentence. "Your best friend just turned into a giant wolf and you want me not to freak out? Oh, my God. This can't be happening. This is all just a nightmare. I'm going to wake up any second now and find out that this entire town was all just a figment of my imagination."

          "Shit," Ashton cursed. "Are you going to have panic attack? You look like you're going to have a panic attack. Just focus on breathing, Avalon. That's got to help."

          Wolf-Talon came closer again, this time ignoring the horror on my face and taking advantage of how my mind and body were co-operating for once by deciding that bravery really wasn't fleeing.

          "Get him away from me," I pleaded in a shaky voice.

          "He's not going to hurt you," Ashton assured me.

          Wolf-Talon growled at the very idea, refusing to back away as he placed his muzzle against his jacket that I was still wearing, which I was surprised he hadn't made a smug comment about when he first saw me. I froze, unable to look at him as the blood in my veins rushed fast. Then he placed his snout against my neck, pushing away the hair there, and sniffed as if he was trying to comfort me, and by that point I was sure I was going to pass out.

          When he backed away, I swallowed, feeling like the oxygen had seeped out the room. Then I closed my eyes and tried to take deep breaths in and out in order to calm my wild heart but they sounded horribly unsteady. Part of me was hoping if I squeezed my lids shut tight enough, I'd open them to find out that I was just dreaming.

          But to no avail. Wolf-Talon and Ashton were still in their respectable forms, the more furry of the two a few feet across me and the shirtless one to the side, ready to jump in if shit hit the fan.

          "See," Ashton said, like wolf-Talon had just proved himself by not eating me. "You have nothing to be afraid of. We don't eat people. That's practically cannibalism."

          "You mean. . . Holy shit," I whispered. "You're the wolf who scared that other one away, aren't you? That's why Talon told you to stop talking. You were explaining everything. You're. . . you're just like him."