~2~

May 26, 2010

~Niall Horan~

   I open my eyes. A new day. I wish that a new day made all of the sadness and imperfections of the last go away. I wish the day before did nothing to the new one, but my mom left. Even though I know she's probably gone for good, I have a hope that she will be standing at the stove like every morning, cooking her usual Wednesday morning eggs and bacon. I hope to see her turn and smile at me when I enter.

   My nerves make me question if I should just stay home and wallow in self-pity. No. Mom would want me to go to school.

   I force myself out of bed and to my closet. I pull out a pair of jeans, a white t-shirt, and a dark blue hoodie. I quickly dress, not knowing the exact time.

   "Niall!" I hear my father call. His voice is back to the normal harsh deepness. I take a deep breath before running down the hall.

   "Yeah dad?" I question just before I enter the room. My father sits at the table, his hands in tight fists at his sides.

   "Come here, son," he says lightly, as if he is calm. My father is never calm. He's planning something. I slowly walk toward him, my eyes locked on his fists. I let my eyes fall to the floor as I feel uneven ground beneath me. Dad's shoes are covered in dark brown mud, still wet. The floor under his feet is also covered in it. I kneel beside his chair with open ears. "One of the cows died giving birth," he announces, "We're going to have to put down the calf as well. Could you dig a couple holes for them behind the barn?" I nod. That was one thing my grandfather passed down to my dad, their belief that animals should be disposed of properly. That's one of the only humane things my father does.

   "Okay. Where's the shovel?" I question, not knowing my way around the barn. He huffs, becoming frustrated. "S-sorry," I quickly add just as his lips part.

   "I set it just outside the back door."

   "Alright, thanks. I'll go do it now."

   I walk toward the door, the creaking from the floors now loud in my ears. I yank open the screen door and exit my home. The door slams behind me with a bang, making me jump, not expecting the sudden noise. I look around for the shovel to find it resting against an old two by four. I grab it by the handle and do as told.
-----

   "Niall," says my teacher, "What instrument determines the chemical composition of stars?" My breath hitches as phlegm rises in my throat. I shrug, nervous that I will embarrass myself for not knowing the answer. The answer was in last nights homework that I didn't do. "Please answer my question."

  "Um," I start, looking into my open book. The highlighted vocabulary sticks out at me. "Spectrograph?"

   "That's correct!" She exclaims. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding as the bell chimes. "Homework on page 325!" Mrs. Nelson shouts over the ruckus of passing periods. I gather my books before walking out the door.

   I walk towards my locker, weaving through the crowds of people. My foot catches on another and my books fly out of my hands.

   "Nice going, Horan," Liam Payne says, glaring. His pack laughs. They walk off each looking down at me in amusement. I bring myself to my feet.

   "I'm sorry about them," Madeline Payne, Liam's sister states, picking up my things. She smiles, handing them to me. I take them, forcing a smile on return.

   "Don't be." I wave her off.

   Her smile leaves and she stands in silence for a moment. "I'll see you around." I nod, finishing my journey to my locker.

   My things are messily stuffed inside, no apparent organization. That is the only thing of mine not organized, my locker. Three minute passing periods don't give enough time to neatly put things away.

   "Hey, Niall," Harry greets. I let a small smile cross my face as I nod to acknowledge his presence. "Did you hear about Maddy?"

   "Who?"

   "Maddy Payne," he clarifies, "Liam's twin." My mouth forms into an "O" and I scrunch my eyebrows together.

   "What about her?" I question, not exactly being one to hear gossip.

   He smirks at me and replies, "She and Zayn Malik broke up."
-----------------------------------------

I know I said I wouldn't update until Sunday, but I figured, why not?

The next update WILL be on Sunday!

Please vote and comment!

It would mean tons!

Hope you enjoy!

maddy

Ps. HAPPY VETERANS DAY! Remember to thank the veterans and anyone serving in the armed forces for their courageous service.