~13~

Woooo! Finally a fast update! Hope you enjoy!

~Madeline Payne~

Looking back on my childhood, I don't recall any problems. My life, for the most part, was perfect. Yes, I had stupid fights with Liam and my parents, but there was nothing serious.

Here I am now, my ankles and wrists bound to an old wooden chair that creaks with every small movement. I am panicking. My breaths are choppy and uneven and beads of sweat fall from my forehead. Tears roll from my eyes, probably blending with the sweat.

"Madeline, are you alright?" Niall asks, adjusting his hands. His chains clink against each other sending shivers up my spine. I nod, not able to speak on account of a piece of duct tape across my lips. "I know you're not. That was a stupid question. I'm so sorry I got you into this."

It isn't your fault. I try to reply, but my words come out jumbled.

"You might as well try to get some sleep, Maddy. He isn't going to come back up here until he's back from the bar. Probably several hours from now," The bruised boy before me advises, resting his head against the wooden wall behind him.

I nod, but don't close my eyes quite yet. I look Niall over. His once blonde hair has grown and is now completely brown, a sight that I haven't seen since elementary school. Niall's blue eyes sparkle in the moonlight. They're beautiful.

We sit in silence, me because I cannot speak, and Niall because, well, I'm not really sure. It may be shock, pain, or maybe just because he wants me to fall asleep. Who knows.

I carefully watch his chest rise and fall, believing that he is asleep. His breathing is somewhat soothing.

It causes my eyelids to become heavy and I begin to fight with sleep.

~

"Maddy!" I hear someone's hushed voice behind me. I turn around to see no one. In confusion, I walk the opposite direction of the voice.

"Madeline, wake up!" The voice demands increasing in volume. I am awake! This isn't a dream. "Maddy please wake up! He's here!"

The concerned tone in the voice sets me off edge. I close my eyes, trying to process whatever has been said, but when I open them a different scene is before me.

Niall sits in front me, a look of worry and focus across his face. The boys wrists have a thin layer of blood dripping off of them and he is kneeling on the wood floors.

I attempt to ask about the situation, but the duct tape once again prevents the words from coming out.

He takes a deep ragged breath and continues, "My dad. He's home...and drunk."

I give the boy a questioning glance. How does he know?

"He always comes home drunk at night."

Niall seems to pause as if letting his words sink in. Before I can think, he continues.

"Don't look him in the eye. Don't make a sound. Maybe...hopefully he will only hurt me."

Hurt him?

Niall answers my question instantly, despite not hearing it, "He's lost his mind, Maddy. There's no telling what he would do to tame his inner demons."

I look down at the chair that I am tied to. What will become of me? Niall? Will I ever get out? Will we ever get out?

Tapping the edge of the chair with my somewhat manicured fingernails, I fight the urge to bring them up to my teeth, not that I'd be able to.

"Promise me that you will be quiet. Just do what he says as long as it's not beyond insane," He advises with concern. I nod to tell him that I understand.

Footsteps begin to sound around the stairs, and I catch Niall whisper something that I don't believe I was supposed to hear, "I love you, Madeline."

Emotionally thrown off by Niall's words, I breathe in sharply. He loves me? Niall Horan said he loves me.

"Niall, you in for it, boy!" A harsh voice slurs, tripping as he walks up the stairs. Niall cowers against the wall, terror written across his expression.

His father, obviously crazy drunk, stomps to his son and raises his hand. I want to scream for him to stop, panic coursing through my body, but obeying Niall's words, I stay quiet.

Watching Lee's hand come down against Niall's face, tears prick at my eyes. I blink them back as Niall whimpers in pain.

Redirecting his attention to me, Lee--who I learned was named Kellen all along--morphs his face into an expression of displeasure.

He sluggishly walks to me and lifts his hand. He rips the duct tape off forcefully causing me to cry out in pain.

I look at Niall. Tears slowly roll down his cheeks as he watches me carefully with worry. I look back at Kellen.

"You made a mistake coming here, Madeline Payne. Maybe your parents seeing their daughter bruised and bloodied will bring some money my way, eh?" He speaks, he smell of strong alcohol sending my senses into a frenzy. I cringe at the terrible scent.

"Please," I whisper, "Just let me go. I won't tell anyone. We can act like nothing happened. Just let me and Niall go."

He smirks, looking quite humored by my attempts to negotiate. "I can't do that, sweetheart. You know that." His voice is soft, too soft for my liking. He raises his hand to hit me.

"Dad, just don't hurt her. Please. I'll be the son you've always wanted. I'll help you earn money. I promise I'll do anything," Niall rushes, tears making his eyes glisten.

"How do I know you aren't lying?"

Niall parts his lips, thinking an answer over before replying, "You can kill me...without a fight."
-------------------------------------------

Oh no! What do you think will happen? Will Kellen agree with Niall?

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Please tell me what you think!

Also, please tell others to check out this book! I really want to get more people reading and leaving comments!

Thanks! Love you guys!
maddy