~9~

PLEASE READ
Merry Christmas!!!!! Before I start, I'd like to announce that I am having a contest. Please leave as many relevant comments as you can and then at the end, your favorite Christmas memory. The person that has left many comments and/or the cutest, most eye opening memory will receive a dedication, mention, and a special surprise!

~Madeline Payne~

"Madeline Payne!" I am awoken from my horror-filled sleep, my father's voice booming. I sit up, wiping my eyes. I walk through the opened gate.

"Daddy," I whisper, partly in relief, but the other half of me is scared.

"Madeline," he growls, "What were you doing there? Your brother and I were looking everywhere for you. We almost called the police!" I stay silent, my head spinning, my mind jumbled in mixed emotions. What's wrong with me? I didn't do wrong.

Wait... Yes I did. I drank. I trespassed. But I was forced, wasn't I?

"Answer me," my father orders, growing impatient with me. My head swarms with many thoughts, but not one is a proper response. Tears drip off my cheeks.

I attempt to speak a reply, but my words come all jumbled. Finally, I manage two words, "I'm sorry."

"You should be," he tells me, "You're mother, Liam, and I have been worried sick." He watches tears stream down my face and pulls me into his arms. "Madeline... You reek of alcohol."

This is when I break into sobs. I whisper nonsense. I whisper anything and everything that passes through my head.

I look over my father's shoulder. Through the tears, I can see a paper on the bulletin board. A boy's picture is clearly printed onto it. Along the top reads "Missing." Then, under the picture names the boy in it, "Niall James Horan." My blood runs cold. Memories of Niall's bleached blonde hair and blue eyes flood my brain.

It's been four years, I tell myself. A wave of cold washes over me. Something seems to hold my gaze on the poster. Something covers the smallest portion of the corner. It's a rusty color, much like...blood.

"Let's go home," my dad says gently, rubbing my hair. I take a breath, slowly pulling away from him.

"I'm walking," I announce, walking out the door. My father doesn't protest.

Outside, the birds are chirping, the air is cool. It seems perfect...almost too perfect. Something deep inside of me screams that danger is close, but maybe it's because I just walked out of a police station.

The hair on the back of my neck stands and chills are thrown down my spine. I shake it off, sucking in a breath of air and continue walking.

Minute by minute, the sky slowly grows dark and storm clouds move overhead. A rumble of thunder sounds through the open air. I wrap my arms around myself. Between the thunder, I hear the screeching of brakes I ignore it, quickening my pace. Rain begins to pour from the sky creating puddles.

"Are you lost, Darlin'?" A voice—seeming familiar, but I can't quite put an identity to the I went— questions from behind me. I jump, not expecting someone to speak to me. Well, maybe they weren't talking to me.

Thunder rumbles on as I once again quicken my step. I try to make it seem as if I hadn't heard. I hear his steps against the water covering the ground.

"You aren't running from me, are you?" The same voice asks, hurt encasing his words. He stands before me.

"Zayn," I breathe with a smile. My heart lets out a elephant sized sigh of relief.

He laughs seeing my expression and grabs my hand, placing a gentle kiss upon the top of it.

"How did you know I'd be here?" I wonder aloud, smiling as the warmth of his lips upon my skin. I feel the tingling sparks of electricity course through my veins.

Zayn pulls his lips away, his hand still grasping mine. He replies with a smile, "When your brother called and told me that your father was unbelievably angry, but was going to bail you out, I knew you wouldn't want to get into a car with him. I thought I'd find you before you walked home alone."

I thank him as he slips off his hoodie, handing it to me. I throw the material over my head and snuggle into the warmth still lingering inside from Zayn's body.

"Where do you want to go?" My boyfriend asks, lacing his fingers with mine. He slowly leans in and plants a kiss on my forehead.

"Anywhere as long as you're with me."
----------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed this! Sorry for the lack in length. This was a completely different chapter than it was before. I had a bit of trouble changing it.

Thanks for reading! It means tons!

Please vote and comment!

maddy