~18~

Madeline's POV

     "Miss Payne, I need you to explain to me what happened today," an officer questions, a recorder on front of him on the table.

     I take a deep breath. My body and mind ache. My heart hasn't stopped racing and it has been twelve hours since the escape. A burning lingers in my eyes, but I just can't cry...not anymore.

     "Niall was protecting me. He tricked his father into thinking he was siding with him. He went back to school and I guess he ran into Zayn. They came for me. We almost got out. We did. We almost made it," I explain, dry sobs beginning to rack my body. My father sits beside me, keeping his eyes locked on the table. He didn't want to be here listening to the things that happened on the Horan farm.

     "I need you to explain your escape, ma'am," the officer across the table tells me, his voice soft.

     I continue, much to my dismay, "We left the house. Zayn was helping me. God, I hadn't walked moved in so long. We were getting away. The three of us were running through a field when it happened. There was a gunshot, but we kept going. Zayn didn't dare stop. I turned around in Zayn's arms, though. What I saw killed me. He was beating Niall. Kellen, he was throwing punches and beating him with his gun. I-I wanted to go back. I tried to get Zayn to go back.

     I begin to blubber, warm tears soaking my cheeks yet again. I grasp the table tightly, biting my lip. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a flash of blonde.

     "Niall?" I whisper, despite what I already knew.

     Niall is dead.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Umm, wow? Short update after nearly a year of nothing. I'm so sorry! I'm a terrible author 8-/.

Well, I'm going to try to finish this book before August, but I'm not sure how that will go. I have a lot of things going on this summer.

But I bet you're wondering where I've been.

I'm lingering away from fan fiction.

I had back surgery.

Sophomore year killed me.

I know those aren't excuses but, I am very sorry.

I'll try to write soon!

maddy