~15~

Happy birthday Courtney!

~Niall Horan~

I enter the hallway with my nerves running wild. My principal's words echoing in my head if you need anything, just come see me. I hate being pitied. I always have. Just because I was missing and I was beaten, I'm pitied. I hate it.

I glance at my schedule once more, studying the classes. I have first period Biology with Mrs. Harrison. If I remember correctly, Mrs. Harrison is a frail old lady with light gray hair. She speaks quietly and has never been the best teacher.

Adjusting my backpack on my shoulder, I start walking down the main hallway. I'm not entirely sure where I am going. The biology classroom, if I remember correctly, is at the end of the junior hallway. I begin to slowly walk in that direction.

A voice causes me to jump, shielding myself with my hands, "Niall? Is that you?" I look at the origin.

"Harry!"

Suddenly, I'm engulfed in a tight hug that honestly hurts my wounds, but I don't voice my pain. My best friend whispers my name repetitively.

When he pulls away, I ask, "Are you okay?" Tears slowly roll down his cheeks.

"I'm just surprised," He replies with a nod. "I missed my best friend, but are you okay?"

"Never better," I lie with a smile. He doesn't know that my father has the girl I love. He doesn't know the pain I endured. He will never know.

"You should've seen Payne and Malik today, I almost felt sorry for them. Did you know Zayn dumped Maddy? And now he can't get her back!"

"Harry, what the heck is wrong with you? Madeline died. How can you not be sympathetic?" I exclaim,

"Think of all they did to us, Niall! It's a tragedy that she died! She was beautiful, but think about it, it's karma for all those years of them making us feel like nothing!"

"You're sick, Harry."

How dare he just not care that the girl I fell in love with is dead? He knows I love her. He knows. Harry wasn't that type of person to hate people with so much passion to not show sympathy.

"You know, Niall, I thought you'd come back and everything would straighten out and be the way it used to be! But you're too stupid and your head's still trapped with your uncle! I wish he would have killed you too. If it wasn't for you, maybe I'd have a girlfriend! Maybe I wouldn't be a lowlife freak!" He shouts, earning the attention of several other people who stop walking just to get a small glimpse of what is going on.

"Nothing is ever going to be the same. Don't you understand that? I suffered years of torture, Harry. Years. I watched the girl I love get beaten once. Now I can't ever speak to her!" I yell, not completely telling a lie.

"Madeline was a spoiled rotten brat, Niall! How did you not see that? She only cared about herself! I'm glad she's dead! She deserved to die!" He screams, then lowers his voice, "So do you."

Suddenly, I'm tackled by the boy who was once my best friend. With his weight, my still-healing injuries cry out for help. I struggle to keep him away, kicking my feet and pushing his body, but I am still too weak. He punches my stomach once causing pain to radiate through my body.

"You take it back, Harold!" Another voice interjects as Harry is thrown off of me. I sit up, despite the screams of my body in protest.

Zayn's fists plummet into Harry's face. I can tell from my ex-friend's expression that he is out cold.

The rich kid backs away slowly, running his fingers through his hair, clutching his roots in a stressful manner. He stands up from the longer-haired boy and walks to me.

"Niall, I know that you were good to her in her last moments. You could've been the guy I wasn't to her," He whispers, sobs controlling his voice. Tears roll down his cheeks. "I'm so sorry for the way I treated you. I wish I could be saying this to her too."

"Zayn, it's okay. The past is the past. Do you want to go somewhere to talk?" I offer, noticed the states we are getting. Zayn nods, sniffling.

Oh gosh, what did I get myself into?
---------------------------------------------

I'm sorry for not updating and for the short update!

I hope you liked!

How do you feel about the new attitudes?

Thanks for reading!

maddy