Epilogue

(present time, 2019 – 500 years later)

“O, heto po sukli ninyo, sir (here’s your change sir),” the balut vendor said, handing the change to Aldro.

“Thank you po,” he said and went on his way. He wasn’t very comfortable with riding a tricycle, so he usually took long walks home.

He heard from the news reports that a virus called Covid-19 had entered the Philippines, which is where he was.

He knew it would be much harder finding the chosen if everyone stays indoors, but he still remembers the promise he made to his brother.

Then, along the way, his phone rang. It was his sister, Crystal, so he quickly answered the call. “Hello?”

“Where are you?” she asked, worried. “Do you know what time it is?”

“I don’t know, 6:30-ish?”

“What do you mean 6:30-ish? It’s like 9:00 pm!” she said in a mother-like tone.

“Okay, fine, I’m coming home.” Aldro said, “Can you put Alex on the phone?”

A minute later, Alex answered. “Yeah, bro?”

“Hey, did you see the news?”

“Yeah I did,” he said, “I’m worried we might not find the Chosen this way.”

“It will only be a bit difficult,” he assured him. “Besides-”

He stopped mid-way. A boy was walking across the road talking to something beside him. It looked like a… plant of sort

“I can’t believe you bought extra spicy noodles,” said the plant thing. “I know I’ve only been on earth for a day and a half, but I’m pretty sure I know what spicy noodles are.”

The boy in turn laughed. “Hey, take it from a professional. Everything happens for a reason.”

“Even the fact that I’m an accidentally experimented plant because you’re such a klutz that didn’t even bother to check if you left the super growth chemical unscrewed?”

The boy looked a little embarrassed. “Well… not everything is for a reason.” He said, continuing to walk down the sidewalk.

“Besides what?” Alex’s voice interrupted Aldro as he was watching the boy.

“Besides…” Aldro said slowly

“I think I found him.”