Chapter 8: A brother's Promise

All the way to the escape boat, Aldro thrashed and pleaded to go back, but Alex was able to pull him onto the boat and sail away.

“No! Please, Alex, we need to save him!”

“And how?” Alex retorted. “Look at us! We are humans Aldro. Your brother sacrificed himself for this prophecy, are we just going to let that go to waste?”

“But why, why of all people, him?”

“Because of the prophecy.”

Aldro growled “I don’t care about some dumb prophecy! If it wasn’t for that, Steve would still be alive, and not… not…”

Aldro fell to the floor and cried hard, pounding the floor. “It should’ve been me…”

“You can’t blame yourself,” Alex said

“You wouldn’t understand!” Aldro shouted. “He was my brother!”

“Mine too!” Alex shouted back. “He treated me like one when no one would! Do you think I wanted to see him die?”

Alex sighed. “In a way, we were all brothers. Even if I was different, he accepted me, he cared for me, just as much as he cared for you.”

Then Alex lit the stove they had on board and sat down. “Look, it’s just as hard for him as it was for you,”

Aldro stood up and sat by the edge of the boat. He looked at their once-peaceful village, now burned to dust. It pained him so much he couldn’t sleep that night.

The next morning, he made up his mind. He would fulfill the prophecy on behalf of his brother.

He looked down at the Wolf’s paw in his hand. “I promise, brother,” he said. He wasn’t about to retreat, and he was certainly not going to surrender. No.

He will always fight, forever...